UDF wins Kerala by-election (Lead)March 21st, 2012 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, March 21 (IANS) Kerala’s ruling United Democratic Front (UDF) Wednesday won the Piravom by-election with Anup Jacob defeating his Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) rival by more than 12,000 votes.
Anup Jacob, 34, son of former minister T.M. Jacob, won over his father’s old rival M.J. Jacob by 12,070 votes.
He said after the results became clear that he owed the win to his later father, whose death necessitated the by-election. He was the food and civil supplies minister and lone legislator of his Kerala Congress-Jacob, an ally of the Congress-led UDF.
Polling in the Piravom constituency took place on March 17 when a record 85.6 percent of the electorate voted.
Interestingly, T.M. Jacob had won the 2011 April assembly polls with a miniscule margin of just 157 votes.
“I knew my son would win with a margin of more than 10,000 votes and I am so happy. My only wish now is that my son should become a very responsible politician,” said Annie Jacob, Anup Jacob’s mother.
It was also sweet victory for Chief Minister Oommen Chandy who had declared before the polls that the verdict would be like a referendum on the performance of his nine-month-old government.
In the 2011 assembly polls, the Congress-led alliance had scraped through with a wafer thin majority. In the 140-member Kerala assembly, 71 seats are currently held by the UDF and 67 by the opposition Left Democratic Front (LDF).
With this victory the UDF tally goes up to 72. The LDF is also one legislator less with the resignation of CPI-M’s K. Selvaraj.
A triumphant Excise Minister K. Babu, who had led the Piravom campaign, told reporters that the “UDF worked in unison”.
Anup Jacob, who would be sworn in as a member of the legislature Thursday, would be a minister like his father, Babu said.
CPI-M leader A. Anandan said: “This seat was held by the UDF. Why should there be so much excitement. Moreover, the government used its powers to see that they win the by-election.”
- Congress-led UDF wins Kerala bypoll - Mar 21, 2012
- Anup Jacob's mother delighted at his by-poll win - Mar 21, 2012
- Stage set for Kerala assembly by-election - Mar 16, 2012
- High voter turnout in Piravom by-poll in Kerala - Mar 17, 2012
- Record polling in Kerala by-election (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- In Kerala by-election, it is Chandy versus Achuthanandan - Mar 09, 2012
- Piravom by-election March 18, first acid test for UDF government - Feb 17, 2012
- Trouble in Kerala's ruling coalition over ministership claims - Mar 26, 2012
- Congress wins Kerala bypoll (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Caste considerations at play as Chandy mulls cabinet expansion (Kerala Newsletter) - Apr 07, 2012
- Jacob's son set to contest polls - Nov 03, 2011
- Congress scores in Karnataka, Gujarat, mauled in Andhra (Roundup) - Mar 21, 2012
- Neyattinkara by-poll crucial for Kerala parties (Kerala Newsletter) - May 19, 2012
- Chandy adds two ministers - Apr 12, 2012
- Chandy to expand cabinet, IUML gets fifth berth - Apr 12, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,