UDF wants Vijayan’s prosecution in Lavalin graft caseFebruary 17th, 2009 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 17 (IANS) The Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF) Tuesday urged Chief Minister V.S. Achutanandan to give his nod to prosecute communist leader Pinarayi Vijayan, who has been accused in a multi-million Kerala graft case.
The UDF at a meeting here decided to send a delegation to Achutanandan to ask him to perform his constitutional duty and start Vijayan’s prosecution.
“We are meeting him not as Achuthanandan, but as the chief minister who has to perform according to the constitution. In the next day or two, we will meet him after getting an appointment,” said UDF convenor P.P. Thankachen.
State secretary of the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Vijayan, as then power minister, awarded a contract to Canadian SNC Lavalin in 1997 for renovation of three power plants. But the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) said there were irregularities in the contract.
Last month he was charged as the ninth accused by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
“If he (the chief minister) decides not to act, we will launch protests from Feb 27 evening,” said Thankachen.
- Kerala governor's decision not surprising: Achuthanandan - Jun 10, 2009
- Governor's decision on Vijayan not surprising: Achuthanandan - Jun 10, 2009
- Achuthanandan should break his silence on Lavalin: UDF - Feb 03, 2009
- CPI-M politburo member Pinarayi Vijayan asked to appear in court - Dec 19, 2011
- Opposition calls for Kerala shutdown for Vijayan's prosecution - May 06, 2009
- CBI says Kerala government was partisan for Vijayan - Nov 10, 2010
- Pinarayi Vijayan re-elected to top Kerala CPI-M post - Feb 10, 2012
- Call all-party meet to discuss terrorism: UDF - Jul 12, 2010
- Pinarayi Vijayan summoned in Lavalin graft case - Apr 10, 2012
- Is Kerala CM under pressure to quit for opposing clean chit to Vijayan? - May 08, 2009
- Will Kerala government sanction Vijayan's prosecution? - May 04, 2009
- Governor to take decision on SNC Lavalin graft case - May 12, 2009
- Make Kerala home minister accused in Lavalin case: Petition - May 05, 2011
- SNC Lavalin scam: Court refuses to include Antony as witness - Jan 04, 2010
- CPI-M removes Achuthanandan from politburo, backs Vijayan (Lead) - Jul 12, 2009