Uddhav Thackeray discharged after angiography (Lead)July 16th, 2012 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 16 (IANS) Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray, admitted to the Lilavati Hospital here early Monday following chest pain, was discharged later in the evening, a party official said.
A feeble but cheerful Uddhav walked out of the hospital to a waiting vehicle in the evening and left for his Bandra (East) home ‘Matoshri’ even as thousands of anxious party workers and top leaders remained present outside the hospital premises all day long.
Uddhav underwent an angiography Monday afternoon in which a couple of blockages were detected in his heart. However, Sena officials refused to confirm or deny this.
Significantly, Uddhav was accompanied out of the hospital by his estranged cousin and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) Chief Raj Thackeray.
The two warring cousins met publicly after nearly four years as Raj cancelled his trip to Alibaug in neighbouring Raigad district and rushed to Mumbai this afternoon upon hearing of Uddhav’s sudden illness.
Raj drove straight to the hospital and along with his mother, wife and other family members, visited Uddhav and enquired about his ailing cousin’s health.
The development was greeted in both parties with anticipation with some activists and political commentators terming it as an example of blood being thicker than politics.
Raj returned to the hospital a couple of hours later and had detailed discussions with the medicos on his cousin’s medical condition and related aspects.
In a magnanimous gesture, Raj personally drove Uddhav’s vehicle from Bandra (West) to Bandra (East), a two km distance and dropped his cousin home.
Later this evening, Raj is expected to meet his uncle and Shiv Sena president Bal Thackeray at the latter’s residence.
Senior Sena leader and former speaker of Lok Sabha Manohar Joshi, who also rushed to the hospital this morning, told media persons that Uddhav was out of danger and was “feeling fine”.
A party official spokesperson said it was a welcome step that the two cousins met Monday but declined to speculate on the political implications of the meeting.
- Uddhav Thackeray had chest pain since four days - Jul 17, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray to undergo angioplasty Friday - Jul 20, 2012
- Raj-Uddhav Thackeray 'bonhomie' fuels political speculation - Jul 16, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray in hospital for angioplasty - Jul 20, 2012
- Uddhav undergoes angioplasty, is 'absolutely fine' - Jul 20, 2012
- Quiet, private 52nd birthday for Uddhav - Jul 27, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray to leave hospital Monday - Jul 22, 2012
- Uddhav visits father in hospital - Jul 28, 2012
- Bal Thackeray hospitalised - Jul 24, 2012
- Uddhav Thackeray admitted to Lilavati after chest pain - Jul 16, 2012
- Shiv Sena indestructible, says Bal Thackeray - Feb 14, 2012
- On Maharashtra Day eve, Bal Thackeray appears in public - Apr 30, 2010
- Narayan Rane's aide rejoins Shiv Sena - Mar 12, 2011
- Raj speaks up for estranged uncle Bal Thackeray - Jun 01, 2011
- Bal Thackeray stable, to be discharged - May 14, 2012
Tags: bal thackeray, blockages, chest pain, executive president, hospital premises, lilavati hospital, Lok Sabha, magnanimous gesture, manohar joshi, media persons, medical condition, medicos, monday afternoon, political commentators, raigad district, sena leader, shiv sena, spokesperson, sudden illness, welc