UCO Bank net up by 12 percent in Q4May 5th, 2012 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 5 (IANS) Public sector UCO Bank Saturday said it has registered a 12 percent growth in its net profit to Rs 2.53 billion during the quarter ended March 31, 2012, from Rs 2.26 billion in the same period last year.
The total income of the Kolkata-headquartered bank during the fourth quarter under review has increased to Rs 42.17 billion from Rs 33.6 billion during the same quarter previous fiscal.
The bank has posted a net profit of Rs 11.09 billion for the year ended March 31, 2012 as compared to Rs 9.07 billion for the year ended March 31, 2011.
“The profits would have been more but for higher provisioning for non-performing assets of Rs.379 crore during the fourth quarter, as against Rs 94 crore during same period last year,” UCO Bank chairman and managing director Arun Kaul said here.
Kaul said in the last fiscal, the bank had posted a credit growth of 16.85 percent.
“For the full (fiscal) year the bank’s credit growth is 16.85 percent, deposit growth is 6.06 percent. We have deliberately grown slowly on deposit growth because the bank has historically been dependent substantially on deposit growth. We have contained the growth of bulk deposits and focused more on core deposits,” he said.
“We are putting major emphasis on retail side growth…it is in this regard that we have opened a lot of branches,” he stated.
On asset side, Kaul said the bank was trying to reduce its dependence on bulk corporate credits and pushing more on retail credits like agriculture and SMEs.
“We want to de-risk the balance sheet by reducing our exposure to big accounts,” said bank executive director N.R. Badrinarayanan.
Badrinarayanan said more than 60 percent of the banks’ total advances lie in the corporate sector at present, while retail accounts for a miniscule 8.5 percent.
- UCO Bank's Q3 net jumps 10 percent (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- UCO Bank Q1 net profit jumps 24 percent - Aug 04, 2012
- Allahabad Bank reports 55 percent rise in Q4 net profit - May 05, 2012
- UCO Bank's net up 22.35 percent in Q3 - Jan 28, 2011
- UCO Bank's Q3 net jumps 10 percent (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- UCO Bank's Q3 net jumps 10 percent - Feb 01, 2012
- UCO Bank Q1 net profit up 12.42 percent - Jul 27, 2011
- Allahabad Bank's Q3 net up by 34 percent - Jan 30, 2012
- United Bank of India's Q3 net up by 38.5 percent - Jan 31, 2012
- UCO Bank's net profit dips 40.2 percent in Q4 - Apr 29, 2011
- Indian Bank posts 13 percent growth in net profit - Jul 23, 2012
- UCO Bank to open NPA auction next week - Jan 05, 2012
- UBI Q4 net up 4 percent - May 05, 2012
- Canara Bank net up 79 percent in fourth quarter - May 05, 2011
- UCO Bank focusing on lending to retail, SME and farm sector - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: balance sheet, bank executive, core deposits, corporate sector, crore, dependence, fiscal year, fourth quarter, kaul, kolkata, managing director, net profit, non performing assets, public sector, quarter ended march, retail accounts, retail credits, retail side, rs 2, rs 42