UAE woman dies after weight-loss surgeryJanuary 28th, 2012 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Sharjah, Jan 28 (IANS) A 27-year-old woman in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) has died after a weight-loss surgery at a hospital in Sharjah.
Samah Mustafa, a mother of three, had been suffering from knee and back pain for two years. She consulted doctors and they advised her to lose weight, her family members told the Gulf News daily.
Mustafa’s mother said her daughter - who weighed 96 kg - was advised by doctors to reduce her weight through stomach surgery.
“My daughter submitted to the surgery and 60 percent of her stomach was cut out,” she said.
Complications set in after the surgery and there was bleeding in her stomach.
“Doctors had to again operate to control the situation. My daughter could not eat or drink anything. She weighed 40 kg when she died,” she said.
The family has accused doctors of negligence and said they will sue the hospital.
- 135-kg Afghan girl of 13 has weight loss surgery in India - Jan 22, 2012
- Fat lady seeks government aid for medical bill - Mar 27, 2012
- In Brazil, baby's head accidentally torn off during delivery - May 20, 2012
- 190 kg Mumbai man out of home after five years - Aug 29, 2010
- 300-kg Briton sheds flab in India (With Image) - Nov 09, 2010
- Imogen Thomas says that she was hysterical about her baby scare - Aug 14, 2012
- Indian surgeons help Nigerian woman back on her feet - Sep 05, 2011
- Mumbai's 190-kg man operated successfully, recuperating - Aug 31, 2010
- Seven-foot tall woman draws crowds in Bengal - Jul 03, 2012
- FIR against Sikar government hospital head - Aug 28, 2012
- A 7 kg baby is born in China! - Feb 19, 2012
- 272-kg Iraqi man operated in Delhi - Sep 30, 2010
- Girl in coma wakes up hearing mom sing - Jun 19, 2012
- Britain's fattest woman dies - Jul 26, 2010
- Woman with rare hormonal disorder operated upon (with images) - Dec 27, 2011