UAE to set up quake alert networkSeptember 12th, 2008 - 5:39 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, Sep 12 (IANS) The United Arab Emirates (UAE) will set up a seismic alert network called Emirates National Web to keep track of earthquakes across the country, the Khaleej Times reported Friday.Under the plan announced after a strong earthquake Wednesday shook the Arab federation, all earthquake-monitoring centres planned for different parts of the UAE will be equipped with advanced technologies operating to international standard, the National Center of Meteorology and Seismology (NCMS) said in a statement.
The centres will also monitor tremors in neighbouring regions as quakes in the UAE are often caused by seismic activities in Iran’s Zagros Mountains.
The earthquake Wednesday occurred in the same region, between Iran’s southern port city of Bandar Khamir and Qeshm Island.
The earthquake, which was of 6.1 magnitude on the Richter scale, caused a wave of panic in the UAE. In several emirates, people ran out of their offices and houses when they felt the tremors.
The seismic network stations across the UAE detected 17 tremors in the aftershocks of the earthquake, adding that the seismic activity does not pose any danger on the country.
- Low-intensity quake in northeast - Sep 07, 2012
- NDMA to train MCD to spot unsafe buildings: Reddy - Mar 11, 2012
- Quake jolts northeast India - Aug 19, 2012
- Strong quake kills three in Iran; tremors felt across Gulf (Second lead) - Sep 10, 2008
- Earthquake in northeast - Jul 15, 2012
- Quake-prone Delhi lacks safety measures: Expert - Sep 08, 2011
- Quake rattles Maharashtra - Sep 19, 2011
- 6.1 earthquake rocks UAE (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 10, 2008
- Moderate quake hits Balochistan - May 25, 2012
- Quake hits India's northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2012
- After 20 days, Goa Met office confirms earthquake - Jan 25, 2011
- Gujarat gets software to detect earthquakes - Nov 01, 2009
- Quake jolts Indonesia, panic grips India (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Three quakes hit Meghalaya, Assam - Jul 27, 2010
- Experts rule out fresh killer quake in Nepal, Sikkim - Sep 19, 2011