UAE to screen eight films at Spain water meetMarch 27th, 2008 - 5:35 pm ICT by admin
Abu Dhabi, March 27 (IANS) United Arab Emirates (UAE) will screen eight documentary films at an international water meet later this year in Spain to showcase its successful water conservation projects. The films will be screened at the UAE pavilion at Expo Zaragoza 2008, from June 14 to Sep 14, under the theme “Water and Sustainable Development”, WAM news agency reported.
Around 96 countries with more than eight million delegates are expected to attend the meeting.
The documentaries, made by well-known filmmaker Dough Allan, highlight the success of the government in water conservation, management and development of water resources in the country.
The external information department of the UAE’s National Media Council (NMC) funded the project. It took more than eight months to shoot these films using an advanced underwater technology.
“The documentaries are the true demonstration of UAE’s efforts for sustainable development of water resources, a process first initiated by the country’s founding father, late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan,” said Saqr Ghobash, minister of labour and NMC chairman.
“The films will promote UAE’s tourism, media and culture and encourage a long-term campaign for conservation of water resources globally,” Ghobash said.
The films highlight UAE’s traditional methods of water harvesting and water storage systems such as specially designed water channels known as aflaj, besides dams and tanks.
The UAE delegation will be led by Peter Vine, author of “Arab Gold: Heritage of the UAE”, at the conference.
The conference will highlight the importance of water conservation in view of the burgeoning population, massive urbanisation, economic and industrial expansions, across the globe.
- UAE to observe Prophet Mohammad's birthday Feb 4 - Jan 30, 2012
- UAE minister calls for reducing cost of labour mobility - May 22, 2011
- Less duty hours for Abu Dhabi workers during Ramadan - Aug 10, 2010
- Kalam, Vayalar Ravi visit UAE - Jan 25, 2011
- China offers to share water management experience - Mar 09, 2012
- 28th GCC labour ministers meet begins in UAE - Oct 20, 2011
- South Korean media delegation visits UAE - Mar 16, 2012
- UAE rulers greet nation on 40th national day - Dec 03, 2011
- India, UAE sign manpower agreement - Sep 13, 2011
- UAE, Iraq hold bilateral talks - May 31, 2012
- UAE participates 'Friends of Syria' conference - Feb 25, 2012
- Abu Dhabi to host global healthcare meet - Mar 08, 2012
- UAE launches 1 mn dirham environmental prize - Sep 16, 2011
- UAE signs pact with Indian university - Dec 09, 2011
- UAE bans groundwater export - Feb 13, 2012