U-19 victory: Unmukt Chand hails team effortAugust 26th, 2012 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
Townsville (Australia), Aug 26 (IANS) India captain Unmukt Chand, who struck a match-winning century for his side in the Under-19 Cricket World Cup final here Sunday, chose to single out team unity for its success in the tournament.
“The team has played really well in the tournament. It has been a good journey for us. Two years back we were 15 people from different states of India but now we are one team. They have been obedient and have always helped me,” said Chand, who stuck an unbeaten 111 and led India to a six wicket win over defending champions Australia at the Tony Ireland Stadium.
“I would like to thank for the support that we got from the coaching staff without whom we could not have won the World Cup. I would like to thank the team too. This could be the last match we play together as a team,” he said.
The venue proved be to lucky for the talented opener.
“I scored a century against them in the final of the last tournament we played here. Townsville has been good for me as I now have two centuries here,” the Delhi player added.
Australia captain William Bosisto praised Chand’s effort and said they paid the price for dropping crucial catches.
“We dropped a few chances, crucial one’s, which cost us the match. It was pretty hot today; almost felt like I was batting in India. Chand is a tremendous player. It is not the first time he terrorised us. We hope to get him quickly next time,” said Bosisto.
Chand was dropped twice during his 130-ball innings while Smith Patel (62 not out) got lucky once.
- India win U-19 World Cup as Chand-Patel overpower Australia (Lead) - Aug 26, 2012
- ICC president congratulates India U-19 side - Aug 27, 2012
- ICC U-19 World Cup Final: Australia lock horns with India (Preview) - Aug 25, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: India bounce back beating Zimbabwe - Aug 14, 2012
- Uttarakhand's Rs.11 lakh for Unmukt Chand - Aug 29, 2012
- India U-19 cricket team gets heroes welcome - Aug 28, 2012
- ICC U-19 World Cup: Australia march into semis - Aug 19, 2012
- ICC U-19 World Cup: India-Pakistan clash for place in semis - Aug 19, 2012
- Indian diaspora basks in U-19 win glory - Aug 30, 2012
- India seniors laud U-19 World Champions - Aug 26, 2012
- Under-19 cricketers' welcome ends in chaos in Kolkata - Aug 29, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: India lose to West Indies by 4 wickets - Aug 12, 2012
- We were confident we could win: Smit Patel - Aug 26, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: Australia beat South Africa, enter final - Aug 21, 2012
- U-19 World Cup: Australia beat England by six wickets - Aug 11, 2012