Typhoid outbreak feared in flood-hit FijiJanuary 12th, 2009 - 1:03 pm ICT by IANS
Wellington, Jan 12 (DPA) Health authorities in the Pacific island state of Fiji warned Monday of a possible typhoid outbreak following four days of torrential rains which have flooded large areas, killed seven people and forced over 9,400 people to be evacuated from their homes.With three towns, including Nadi, home to the country’s international airport, under water and another tropical depression threatening it, the health ministry urged people to collect rainwater to drink and to beware of contamination that could cause typhoid, dengue fever and diarrhoea.
A state of emergency remained in force in the western division of the main island Viti Levu, where Nadi, Sigatoka and Ba were still closed to allow civic authorities to mop up as floodwaters receded.
Dusk to dawn curfews were enforced in the towns to prevent looting of abandoned homes and stores.
With food supplies running short, a New Zealand tourist on the resort island of Denarau told the TV3 channel that restaurants were closed and holidaymakers were effectively confined to their rooms.
Power supplies were cut in some places, drinking water was restricted and telephone lines were down.
Fiji’s ruler, military strongman Voreqe (Frank) Bainimarama, launched a worldwide appeal for aid to support the government’s National Disaster Relief and Rehabilitation Programme, the independent Fijilive news website reported.
- Emergency declared in flood-hit Fiji - Jan 11, 2009
- Emergency declared in cyclone-hit Fiji (Lead) - Mar 16, 2010
- More than 10,000 evacuated in Fiji cyclone - Mar 16, 2010
- Fiji is new hotspot for Indian movies - Jun 16, 2012
- Cyclone Tomas forces Fiji to declare state of disaster - Mar 16, 2010
- Four killed in Fiji cyclone - Dec 15, 2009
- Fiji strongman gets honour for service to humanity - Apr 24, 2009
- Fiji pulls out of regional trade talks - Aug 10, 2009
- Arrested Fiji journalists released (Lead) - May 11, 2009
- Fiji military chief says he might delay promised elections - Jul 13, 2010
- Military coup was illegal, rules Fiji court - Apr 09, 2009
- Pacific tit-for-tat on cards after Fiji expels diplomats - Nov 04, 2009
- Two scribes held in Fiji for infringing censorship - May 11, 2009
- New Zealand threatened Fiji's military chief with 'loss of family access' over coup - Dec 25, 2010
- Military government tightens control in Fiji (Lead) - Apr 14, 2009