Two youth drown in pond in Mumbai national parkJuly 18th, 2010 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 18 (IANS) Two youth drowned after they got trapped in a deep pond near a waterfall inside the Sanjay Gandhi National Park here Sunday afternoon, officials said.
The victims - Jayesh Asgaonkar, 22 and Pramod Kadhav, 19 - were part of a six-member group which went for a picnic to the park, situated in northwest Mumbai.
They were in a waterfall and a large pond that had developed owing to the monsoon rains when suddenly the duo slipped and fell into depression in the pond and failed to come out.
Four of their friends, who were also trapped in the pond waters, managed to swim to safety.
“The body of Asgaonkar was fished out this evening and search was on to retrieve Kadhav’s body,” a police officer said.
The 100-square metre park is a favourite picnic spot and a tourist attraction round the year.
Among the attractions are a tiger safari, a lion safari, deer parks, leopards, the world’s largest Atlas butterflies with a wing span of over one metre, and other varieties of flora and fauna.
Around 10 km inside the park are the world famous Kanheri Caves, which was a university over 1,500 years ago.
- Two teenagers drown at Mumbai's Bandra seaface - Jul 19, 2010
- Ansari visits Dachigam National Park - Sep 17, 2012
- Mumbai cop 'catches' a python! - Oct 21, 2009
- Kanheri Caves made part of 'Clean India' campaign - Aug 03, 2012
- Lawyers drowned in Maharashtra - Jul 29, 2012
- Chinese woman held for smuggling deer genitals - Aug 13, 2012
- Tourist hotspots deserted, thanks to World Cup final - Apr 02, 2011
- Three Mumbai students drown in waterfall - Oct 31, 2011
- Kashmir officials start radio collaring of leopards - Mar 19, 2012
- Dead leopard found in Mumbai water tank - Jan 26, 2011
- Minor girl killed by leopard in Mumbai suburb - Jul 16, 2012
- Leopard 'evicted' from Mumbai school after 20 hrs - Apr 22, 2012
- Two tiger cubs spotted at Ranthambore National Park - Apr 25, 2011
- Is Sukhna sanctuary in Chandigarh home to leopards? - Dec 21, 2010
- Lioness kills forest guard at Mumbai's national park (Lead) - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: deep pond, deer parks, flora and fauna, kanheri caves, large pond, leopards, lion safari, member group, monsoon, mumbai, picnic spot, pond waters, pramod, sanjay gandhi national park, square metre, sunday afternoon, tiger safari, tourist attraction, waterfall, wing span