Two years on, Tyson opens up on daughter’s deathMarch 10th, 2011 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 10 (IANS) Boxer-turned-actor Mike Tyson has opened up about the death of his four-year-old daughter, Exodus, saying he was torn apart after the tragedy.
Exodus’ seven-year-old brother Miguel found her unconscious, tangled in a cord and dangling from an exercise treadmill in 2009.
“I had a four-year-old daughter who, unfortunately, had an accident and died,” Tyson told Ellen DeGeneres on her talk show.
“I was pretty outraged, torn apart. When I went to the hospital, when she was on the machine, I was anticipating, because I was probably coming down from a hangover, but I’m anticipating that I’m going to go to the hospital and raise hell.
“Once I got there and saw other people who had children who already died or were dying, they were handling it with dignity and I didn’t want to be the psycho parent. I wanted to handle it with dignity as well. Their kids were dying too so I didn’t have any right to be a psycho. I just had to handle it like everyone else and be humble and be at ease,” he added.
Tyson says he had a support system to help him, reports dailymail.co.uk.
“I’m just very fortunate that I had a great support system,’ said Tyson. “That I had great mentors. I was just very fortunate. I’m not better than anyone else that was successful and probably OD’d or committed suicide. I’m not different than them. The only difference is that I had a good support system…I wanted to change. I couldn’t do it without the support,” he added.
- Mike Tyson opens up about death of his daughter - Mar 09, 2011
- Fame made me insane: Mike Tyson - Mar 21, 2011
- Mike Tyson vows to be a 'committed and dedicated' dad - Dec 05, 2010
- Mike Tyson now wants to dance and sing - Sep 13, 2012
- Tyson hoping for a fresh start at fatherhood - Dec 05, 2010
- Mike Tyson back to Brooklyn for new reality show on racing pigeons - Jan 07, 2011
- I've found happiness with pigeons: Mike Tyson (Interview) (With Images) - Jun 08, 2011
- 'I'm done with boxing', says Mike Tyson - Oct 28, 2010
- Tyson got prison officer pregnant - Apr 22, 2012
- Mike Tyson to become dad for 8th time, one year after daughter's death - Sep 09, 2010
- Ex-boxing champ Tyson to become a missionary to earn respect from his kids - Aug 16, 2010
- Mike Tyson, wife renew wedding vows - Jun 28, 2011
- Iron Mike's heart not in boxing anymore, says Holyfield ruling out re-match - Sep 17, 2010
- I was insane for a great period of my life: Mike Tyson - Mar 21, 2011
- Kardashian game for cosmetic surgery - Jun 30, 2012