Two women burn to death in autorickshawMay 14th, 2009 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 14 (IANS) Two women travelling in an autorickshaw in the capital were charred to death when the vehicle caught fire due to leaking compressed natural gas (CNG) early Thursday, police said.
The incident took place in Connaught Place at around 1.30 a.m.
“There was a CNG leak that caused the fire. The women died because of severe burn injuries. The driver had fled the scene but has now been arrested. We are questioning him,” a police official said.
Sheri, 30, a resident of Sonia Vihar and Nisha, 35, a resident of Ghaziabad were inside the autorickshaw when the CNG kit burst after the gas leak.
Police said that the women died on the spot. The autopsy reports are awaited.
All public transport vehicles in the capital were converted to use CNG following a Supreme Court order. A NGO had approached the apex court to complain about air pollution caused by diesel and two-stroke petrol engines.