Two women burn to death in autorickshawMay 14th, 2009 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 14 (IANS) Two women travelling in an autorickshaw in the capital were charred to death when the vehicle caught fire due to leaking compressed natural gas (CNG) early Thursday, police said.
The incident took place in Connaught Place at around 1.30 a.m.
“There was a CNG leak that caused the fire. The women died because of severe burn injuries. The driver had fled the scene but has now been arrested. We are questioning him,” a police official said.
Sheri, 30, a resident of Sonia Vihar and Nisha, 35, a resident of Ghaziabad were inside the autorickshaw when the CNG kit burst after the gas leak.
Police said that the women died on the spot. The autopsy reports are awaited.
All public transport vehicles in the capital were converted to use CNG following a Supreme Court order. A NGO had approached the apex court to complain about air pollution caused by diesel and two-stroke petrol engines.
- Two women burn to death in auto-rickshaw (Lead) - May 14, 2009
- Man involved in 250 CNG car kit thefts held - Feb 21, 2011
- New Delhi's CNG drive worsened some vehicles' climate impacts: Study - Mar 02, 2011
- Delhi Police rule out foul play in auto-rickshaw fire - May 15, 2009
- Woman killed, two injured as car catches fire - Oct 18, 2011
- Regulator asks IGL to reduce gas prices - Apr 10, 2012
- Man charred to death as mini-bus catches fire - Jan 16, 2011
- Autorickshaw users expect smooth ride after court order - Nov 12, 2011
- Government withdraws VAT on CNG - Jun 04, 2012
- CNG prices raised Rs.2.90 a kg in Delhi (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- CNG supply to be affected in parts of Delhi Sunday: IGL - Apr 27, 2012
- Agartala to go green with CNG for vehicles, PNG for houses - Sep 14, 2011
- CNG costs Rs.5.60 more a kg from midnight in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 16, 2010
- IGL raises gas prices by 0.20 paise in UP - Sep 08, 2012
- CNG prices raised Rs.2.90 a kg in Delhi - Jul 06, 2012