Two Tripura officers accused of woman staffer’s sexual abuseFebruary 20th, 2009 - 5:51 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Feb 20 (IANS) The Tripura government Friday asked two brothers, a senior bureaucrat and a police official, to go on leave pending a judicial probe into their alleged sexual abuse of a woman employee who later committed suicide, officials said.
A government spokesperson said Bijoy Krishna Roy, an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, and his brother Bimal Krishna Roy, an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer, were asked to go on leave for an indefinite period after the police found prima facie evidence of sexual exploitation of the woman employee.
Bijoy Krishna’s 37-year-old private secretary Sarbari Chakma Debbarma committed suicide by setting herself on fire earlier this month after giving a written complaint to Chief Minister Manik Sarkar that she was sexually abused by her boss.
Bijoy Krishna was the commissioner of the state’s food and civil supplies and jail departments.
“To malign Sarbari’s family and her husband, Bimal Krishna Roy, a deputy inspector general of police, misused his position,” the spokesperson said.
The Tripura government earlier probed the incident through the state Criminal Investigative Department (CID) and later ordered a judicial inquiry by retired Guwahati High Court judge Pradip Kumar Sarkar.
- Withdraw cop's medal for role in abuse case: Tripura rights group - Feb 02, 2010
- Bangladesh frees three Indians after seven months - Aug 14, 2012
- Three Indians crash into Bangladesh territory, held - Dec 27, 2011
- Tripura to put all ranks of officials under Lokayukta - Mar 02, 2012
- Congress MLAs disrupt Tripura assembly - Mar 09, 2011
- Probe ordered into Tripura woman's parading - Jun 16, 2010
- Tripura employees to get paid paternity leave - Jun 05, 2012
- Tripura Congress, CPI-M trade charges of wooing militants - Jun 27, 2012
- Congress leaders fast in Tripura - Feb 09, 2012
- Communist movement won't fail in India: Prakash Karat - Jan 29, 2012
- Tripura tribal woman's death sparks ethnic tension - Feb 20, 2011
- Tripura Congress holds sit-in fast to press demands (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Feb 09, 2012
- An iconic Communist figure of Tripura dies - Jun 07, 2011
- Opposition disrupts Tripura assembly - Sep 05, 2011
- Prominent Tripura tribal leader dead - Nov 13, 2010