Two tribal separatists killed in AssamOctober 23rd, 2009 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Oct 23 (IANS) Two NDFB (National Democratic Front of Bodoland) rebels were killed in an encounter Friday in Assam when security forces stepped up operations to rescue a civil engineer from Andhra Pradesh who was kidnapped by militants, officials said.
A police spokesperson said there was a fierce encounter between security forces and a group of NDFB militants near a thickly forested area in Singimari in Kokrajhar district, about 260 km west of Guwahati.
A special police commando team accompanied by soldiers was involved in a massive search operation in the area to rescue P. Krishna Rao who was kidnapped by suspected NDFB militants from a highway construction site near Joypur in Kokrajhar district Oct 16.
“The security team was engaged in a search operation looking for the kidnapped engineer when they came under attack from the NDFB militants. Two militants were killed in retaliatory attacks,” a senior police official said.
Rao was the project manager of Gayatri Company, a private infrastructure firm engaged in constructing a four-lane highway in a 63-km strip in Kokrajhar district.
“We don’t have a clue on Rao’s whereabouts, nor is there any ransom demand from the captors,” the official said.
“We have been raiding various possible locations in the area and the search is on in full steam.”
Meanwhile, in a separate encounter security forces early Friday shot dead a militant of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA) on the outskirts of Guwahati.
“Based on specific intelligence inputs we raided a house and the ULFA militant opened fire. We shot back and he was killed,” the official said.
Some arms and ammunition were recovered from the dead ULFA rebel.
- Offensive on to rescue Andhra engineer kidnapped in Assam - Oct 27, 2009
- Bodo separatists planning terror strikes in Assam: police - Sep 20, 2010
- Andhra engineer kidnapped in Assam, firm pleads for release - Oct 22, 2009
- NDFB kills again, 24 dead in Assam serial attacks - Nov 10, 2010
- Separatists attack passenger bus in Assam, abduct six - Nov 08, 2010
- Four NDFB militants killed, businessman rescued - Oct 03, 2010
- Ulfa's bomb-making unit busted; 2 held - May 21, 2012
- Three ULFA rebels, cop killed in Assam gunfight - Mar 15, 2011
- Tribal outfit continues murderous rampage in Assam, toll 23 (Second Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Spate of kidnappings in Assam, civil engineer abducted by NDFB - Nov 01, 2009
- Assam on alert after militant strikes (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Security alert in Assam to foil militant attacks - Mar 15, 2011
- Bodo tribals massacre 18 Hindi speakers (Second Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Assam peace broken; Bodo tribals massacre 14 Hindi speakers (Lead) - Nov 08, 2010
- Assam's Unified Command reworking strategy to counter NDFB militants - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: assam, civil engineer, commando team, forested area, guwahati, highway construction, infrastructure firm, massive search operation, national democratic front, p krishna rao, police official, police spokesperson, private infrastructure, ransom demand, security forces, security team, separatists, special police, ulfa, united liberation front