Two treated in Agra after gas leakNovember 15th, 2011 - 1:40 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Nov 15 (IANS) Two people were treated at a hospital in this Taj city after an ammonia gas leak at a cold storage near here killed five workers and destroyed potato crop around it two days ago. The facility’s owner is absconding, police said Tuesday.
Workers told the police that an ammonia cylinder exploded and fell on the chamber roof of the Sumitra Devi cold storage, as a result of which five workers were crushed under the huge machine Sunday night in Hathras district’s Sadabad town, 30 km from Agra.
The gas, fire brigade sources said, spread over two km affecting villagers and vehicle drivers on the road. Over 20 people had to be hospitalised as they complained of breathlessness and some fell unconscious. They have all been discharged.
Police said the cold storage is owned by Yogendra Gupta of Agra who was absconding.
The district horticulture officer of Aligarh, looking after Hathras also, registered a case against the owner and the manager.
Hathras police said the five workers who died were repairing and welding a chamber and a pipeline while emptying the storage tank.
Two people are receiving treatment at the Agra Medical College hospital, doctors said.
There are hundreds of cold storages in this potato belt of Agra region.
- Five killed in ammonia gas cylinder explosion - Nov 14, 2011
- Agra growers in distress as potato goes cheap - Sep 13, 2011
- Showers, hail hit potato crop in Agra - Feb 26, 2011
- Revenue official mowed down in UP - Jul 21, 2012
- Ammonia leak: Disaster averted in Agartala - Apr 19, 2012
- Bumper potato crop nightmare for Agra farmers - Dec 11, 2011
- Fresh gas leakage from Bengal factory triggers panic - Jan 01, 2011
- Potato prices come down in Bengal - Sep 03, 2012
- Yamuna Expressway to be ready later this year: Official - Apr 26, 2011
- Agra incident-free, farmers continue stir (Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- 14 hospitalised after gas leakage in Bulgaria - Dec 17, 2011
- Two killed in police firing in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 15, 2010
- Three die after consuming cold drink - Mar 14, 2011
- The chill returns to Agra - Feb 18, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh farmers refuse to relent, crisis continues (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: agra, aligarh, ammonia gas, breathlessness, cold storage, cold storages, fire brigade, gas fire, gas leak, gupta, horticulture, hospital doctors, medical college hospital, pipeline, potato crop, sadabad, storage tank, sumitra, vehicle drivers