Two toll employees on Gurgaon Expressway held for extortionSeptember 21st, 2012 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Sep 21 (IANS) Two toll employees at Sirhol toll plaza on the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway were arrested for charging illegally from motorists, police said Friday.
Sanjay, an employee with the Delhi-Gurgaon Super Connectivity Limited (DGSCL), the expressway’s contractor company and Jacky, an employee of the Municipal Corporation of Delhi deployed on toll-duty, were arrested late Thursday night for forcibly charging toll fee from commuters.
“They were charging Rs.21 from the car drivers. They threatened people who refused to pay the fee. We have booked them under section 384 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). Some more arrests are in the offing,” investigating officer Arun Kumar told IANS.
The case was registered on the complaint of Kamal Verma, a resident of Delhi. Kamal is a building contractor and was returning from a construction site here to his residence.
He was at first asked to pay Rs.21 as toll fee. But then, instead of Rs.21, a Rs.500 currency note was snatched from his wallet. After this, commuters created a ruckus on the expressway.
“We recovered Rs.3500 from the duo (Sanjay and Jacky). We are investigating the case keeping DGSCL’s big bosses in mind,” DCP (west) Surender Pal Singh told IANS.
The accused were produced in the court of the Chief Judicial Magistrate (1st class) and were remanded to judicial custody.
- Operator charges toll at two Gurgoan plazas - Sep 05, 2012
- Top cop who took on Gurgaon toll plaza transferred - Sep 18, 2012
- NHAI, Gurgaon expressway operator get time for talks - Aug 30, 2012
- DGSCL files contempt petition against NHAI - Mar 27, 2012
- No toll on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway for 15 days: Court - Sep 04, 2012
- Jam free traffic promised on Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway - Sep 19, 2012
- NHAI, private firm settle Gurgaon toll plaza issue - Jul 05, 2012
- Court restrains NHAI on contract termination - Mar 02, 2012
- Considering out-of-court solution on expressway: NHAI - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Accidents rise on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway' - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: arun kumar, big bosses, building contractor, car drivers, commuters, construction site, contractor company, currency note, extortion, indian penal code, jacky, judicial custody, judicial magistrate, kamal, motorists, municipal corporation of delhi, rs 500, ruckus, sanjay, surender