Two Tibetans killed in Shimla landslideSeptember 20th, 2008 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Sep 20 (IANS) Two Tibetans were killed in this Himachal Pradesh state capital when a massive landslide destroyed more than 20 makeshift shops, police said Saturday.”At around 10.30 p.m. yesterday (Friday), the landslide was triggered due to massive rainfall in the lower Shimla area, where most of the makeshift shops of the Tibetans are located,” Shimla Superintendent of Police R.M. Sharma told IANS.
The market is popularly known as Tibetan Market and is located below the Ridge.
Sharma said: “The rescue operation is on and so far two bodies, one of an old woman, have been recovered.”
Tenzin Norgay, an eyewitness, said he ran away from the spot as soon he heard a loud sound. He was sleeping in his shop.
He said some of the shopkeepers usually sleep in their shops at night.
- Shimla's historic Ridge again caves in - Sep 05, 2010
- Shimla's historic Ridge portion again caves in - Jul 13, 2011
- Shimla's historic Ridge develops cracks (With Image) - Aug 28, 2010
- Roads in upper Shimla hit after landslides - Sep 20, 2010
- Apex court to aid of Tibetan market, demolition deferred - Aug 27, 2009
- Landslides, house collapses kill 32 in Shimla (Lead) - Sep 20, 2008
- High alert in Himachal as landslides, house collapses kill 32 (Second Lead) - Sep 20, 2008
- Himachal may see heavy rains, rivers in spate - Aug 19, 2012
- Tibetans affected by landslides in Shimla assured rehabilitation - Sep 23, 2008
- Hundreds of tourists stranded in Himachal Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Shops closed in Shimla to protest cow slaughter (Lead) - Feb 13, 2010
- Shimla shops shut to support Anna - Aug 24, 2011
- Shimla's main Ridge develops cracks - Sep 22, 2008
- Landslides cut off Kinnaur from Shimla - Jun 17, 2011
- Incessant rains in Himachal, rivers in spate (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010