Two thirsty little girls drowned in OrissaMarch 18th, 2008 - 4:02 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, March 18 (IANS) Two little girls died in an Orissa village while trying to drink water from a hand-dug well after they slipped and fell into it, the police said Tuesday. Monday morning, nine-year-old Pallabi Meher and her five-year-old sister Payal went to collect Mahua flowers on the outskirts of Machiuda village in the western district of Jharsuguda, nearly 300 km from the state capital here.
They felt thirsty and went to a hand-dug well without any protecting wall. Payal accidentally slipped into the well while trying to drink water, the police told IANS. Her elder sister, Pallabi, slipped into the well while trying to rescue her, he said.
Although the villagers rushed to the spot a few minutes later and pulled out both girls, Payal was already dead. Pallavi was taken to the nearest hospital, but could not be saved, said the police.
“It is a big shock for me and for all our family members,” said the girls’ father Balabhadra Meher.
- Two thirsty girls drowned - Mar 18, 2008
- Girl falls into cauldron, dies (Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Delhi Police rescues missing minor - Jul 29, 2012
- Man arrested for raping minor girl in Delhi (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- Nine-year-old crushed to death - Jul 23, 2011
- Child strangled for gold earrings in Bengal - May 16, 2012
- Disabled man rescues girl from well - Dec 29, 2011
- Six people responsible for Mahi's death, says inquiry - Sep 21, 2012
- Girl remains trapped for over 60 hours in borewell - Jun 23, 2012
- Rajasthan couple tries to bury new born girl alive - Jul 03, 2012
- An 'untouchable' sarpanch, she touches many lives (Feature) - Apr 26, 2012
- Father arrested for killing daughter over 'honour' - Mar 13, 2011
- Man who dug Mahi's death trap sent to jail - Jul 08, 2012
- Minor girl raped in Delhi - Mar 11, 2011
- Baby girl rescued from borewell after 7 hours (Lead) - Mar 14, 2012