Two taxi drivers held for killing woman in DelhiMay 14th, 2012 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 14 (IANS) Two taxi drivers were arrested in south Delhi for murdering a 25-year-old woman when she resisted their sexual assault attempt after taking a lift in their vehicle last month, police said Monday.
Sikander Singh, 28, and Pradeep Singh, 30, were arrested for strangling the woman and dumping her body near Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited tower in south Delhi’s commercial hub Nehru Place. The body was recovered April 24.
The accused attempted to sexually abuse the victim April 23 evening after she was dropped near south Delhi’s Defence colony area by her husband, police said.
“She had called her husband later to tell him that she was going with two men in a taxi,” said Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) Ashok Chand.
“The probe revealed the name of the taxi owner as Pradeep, resident of Ropar in Punjab. A team was sent there but he was later trapped in south Delhi’s Moti Bagh along with Sikander,” said the official.
They revealed that they had given a lift to the woman April 23 night in a taxi owned by Pradeep.
“On the way, they tried to sexually assault her. When she resisted and tried to make a noise they strangled her,” said Chand.
Sikander was working as a taxi driver at Nehru Place for the past six years. Pradeep was also attached to a taxi stand in the same area.
- Man kills wife for selling taxi - Aug 28, 2012
- Indian-origin honeymooning woman raped before murder? - May 14, 2011
- Three sweepers arrested for molesting married woman - Jul 14, 2012
- Elderly woman stabbed to death by robbers - Aug 14, 2012
- Honeymoon murder: Indian-origin woman may have been raped' - Dec 06, 2010
- Pregnant woman dies after being hit by car in Delhi - May 26, 2012
- Jilted lover strangles girl - May 13, 2011
- Woman in debt kills self - Feb 22, 2012
- Indian-origin bride killed in South Africa was not sexually assaulted: Police - Nov 18, 2010
- Woman found dead near Delhi metro station - Apr 24, 2012
- Brit-Indian bride was 'sexually assaulted' before murder in S.Africa: Sources - Dec 06, 2010
- Finnish woman raped in Delhi - Sep 03, 2011
- Man killed while protecting wife, two arrested - May 03, 2011
- 65-year-old woman killed in Delhi home - Sep 06, 2012
- Man kills girlfriend, attempts suicide - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: april 24, ashok, bagh, commercial hub, commissioner of police, defence colony, moti, nehru place, New Delhi, old woman, police crime, pradeep singh, ropar, sexual assault, sikander, south delhi, taxi driver, taxi drivers, taxi owner, taxi stand