Two stoned to death for adultery in MaliAugust 2nd, 2012 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 2 (IANS) Islamists in control of the northern region of Mali said they forced a man and a woman into two holes and stoned them to death for committing adultery, CNN reported Thursday.
Witnesses watched quietly as the Islamists executed the two by pelting them with rocks in Aguelhok town Sunday.
“I don’t know how many rocks they threw or for how long it went on before they were both dead. No one dared to try and stop the Islamists,” said Haman Maiga, a resident who witnessed the stoning.
The woman had two small children, a boy and a girl.
A leader of a radical Islamic group said Sharia law condemns relationships outside marriage.
“The man and the woman, who were both married to other people, were having an affair,” said Aliou Toure, the Islamist commissioner in Gao.
“They were stoned to death, the punishment for infidelity, according to Sharia, Islamic law,” he said.
The stoning was the first reported Sharia killing since Al Qaeda-linked Islamists took control of the north.
Islamists have imposed a harsh form of Sharia law that bans drinking, music and sports on television.
- Man stoned to death in Somalia for adultery - Nov 07, 2009
- Iranian mother sentenced to death by stoning - Jul 01, 2010
- Iranian authorities say that widow won't be stoned - Jul 09, 2010
- Taliban militants stone woman to death in Pakistan - Sep 27, 2010
- Taliban stone to death Afghan couple over adultery - Aug 16, 2010
- Al Qaeda 'building bunkers' in the Sahara - Jun 25, 2010
- Execution of Iranian woman for adultry on hold - Aug 30, 2010
- Muslim woman whipped in public for wearing trousers - Dec 14, 2010
- Taliban Stones Couple To Death for Adultery in Kunduz Afghanistan - Aug 17, 2010
- Iranian woman, to be stoned to death, may get hanged - Dec 26, 2011
- Al Qaeda linked Islamist group executes two teenage girls in Somalia - Oct 29, 2010
- Al Qaeda linked Islamist group executes two teenage girls in Somalia by firing squad - Oct 29, 2010
- Woman faces death by stoning in Sudan - Aug 02, 2012
- 'Stoning will happen in Britain too if sharia allowed' - Mar 21, 2012
- Afghan President Karzai condemns stoning of Afghan couple for adultery - Aug 18, 2010
Tags: al qaeda, aug 2, boy and a girl, cnn, committing adultery, drinking music, gao, having an affair, holes, infidelity, islamic group, islamic law, islamists, mali, man and a woman, marriage, relationships, rocks, Sports, television