Two sisters arrested for defrauding Kolkata bankJuly 1st, 2012 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 1 (IANS) Two sisters from West Bengal’s Darjeeling district’ have been arrested for allegedly defrauding the Kolkata branch of a nationalised bank to the tune of Rs.1.48 crore, police said Sunday.
“Rani Mitra and Tanushree Mitra were arrested by the city police from Siliguri for defrauding the Kolkata branch of United Bank of India. They have been accused of defrauding it of Rs.1.48 crore and we have sought their transit remand,” said Kolkata Police’s Joint Commissioner (Crime) Pallab Kanti Ghosh .
Acting on a tip off, the Mitra sisters - both in their 30s - were nabbed Saturday by the police. They have been accused of opening fictitious accounts and taking huge sums of money as loans.
The sisters were produced before a court in Siliguri Sunday where Kolkata Police sought their transit remand.
The accused will be brought to the city for interrogation.
- Manipur ultra nabbed in West Bengal - Jun 12, 2012
- Kolkata woman who alleged gangrape does volte face - Aug 14, 2012
- Two Manipuri militants arrested from Siliguri by NIA - Mar 23, 2012
- CBI arrests three for defrauding bank - Jul 09, 2010
- Man escapes from police custody in Darjeeling - Jun 01, 2012
- Kolkata woman alleges gangrape, one arrested (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Rs.16 crore credit card racket busted in Bangalore - Oct 28, 2011
- Maharashtra cops questioned on terror suspect's remand (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Cash-for-votes scam: Amar Singh aide in police custody (Lead) - Jul 18, 2011
- Doctor detained in murder of mentally-ill woman in Bengal - Jul 15, 2012
- Student hacks friend's email to deny him admission abroad - Jun 12, 2012
- Engineering graduate held in credit card fraud - Aug 06, 2012
- Global manhunt for Chinese rogue banker - Mar 27, 2012
- 10 held for gang-raping woman in Bengal - Sep 11, 2012
- Deaf-mute athlete raped in Bengal, attacker arrested - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: bank of india, city police, darjeeling district, ghosh, interrogation, july 1, loans, mitra, nationalised bank, rani, remand, rs 1, siliguri, sums of money, tanushree, two sisters, united bank, united bank of india, west bengal