Two senior police officials suspended over Azamgarh violenceSeptember 11th, 2008 - 11:40 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 11 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh government Thursday suspended two senior police officials for the communal clash that erupted Sunday in Azamgarh district, officials here said.Abhimanyu Singh, the then deputy inspector general (Azamgarh range), and Vijay Kumar Garg, Azamgarh senior superintendent, have been suspended with immediate effect.
Singh was transferred to the Crime Branch of the Criminal Investigation Department as its deputy inspector general, while Garg was posted as superintendent, economic offences wing, Kanpur.
Both were moved out after the Sunday’s incident before being suspended Thursday evening.
A youth was killed Sunday and three people were injured in arson and communal violence that followed a rally by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) parliamentarian Yogi Adityanath in Azamgarh. He represents Gorakhpur Lok Sabha seat.
Violence erupted as some people pelted stones at slogan-shouting youth riding on about 150 motorcycles through a Muslim dominated locality.
- Uttar Pradesh turning into terrorist hub: BJP - Sep 09, 2008
- One killed, 3 injured in Uttar Pradesh communal clash (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2008
- Rahul Gandhi shares fish curry with Uttar Pradesh villagers (Lead) - Sep 12, 2008
- Rahul shares fish curry with Uttar Pradesh villagers - Sep 12, 2008
- Communal violence in Uttar Pradesh town, 1 dead (Lead) - Sep 07, 2008
- 30 injured in communal clash in Meerut - Apr 25, 2011
- BJP panel to probe Bareilly violence - Mar 13, 2010
- Rahul tours flood-hit Uttar Pradesh district - Sep 11, 2008
- 33 IPS officers shifted in UP, power chief also booted out - Jul 31, 2012
- Jail riot in UP leaves one dead, dozen injured - Mar 11, 2012
- Cattle perish in arson attack on shacks in UP - Jul 14, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi to tour flood-hit Uttar Pradesh district - Sep 10, 2008
- Kushwaha row: BJP MP threatens to resign - Jan 06, 2012
- One killed in Bareilly violence (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- 50 held for Uttar Pradesh communal clash - Aug 10, 2011