Two Punjab women dupe six with lure of CanadaFebruary 3rd, 2011 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
Mohali (Punjab), Feb 3 (IANS) Punjab Police have filed cases against a mother-daughter duo for duping at least six people of several lakhs of rupees on the pretext of helping them get permanent residency in Canada, police said here Thursday.According to the police, the accused have been identified as Sukhwinder Kaur and her daughter Sumeet Kaur. They are yet to be arrested.
The action was taken on a complaint from Sukhchain Singh, a resident of Muktsar town in Punjab, a police official said.
“Sukhchain said that Sukhwinder had promised to help him settle in Canada and took nearly Rs.20 lakh in two instalments. She said that her brother was settled in Canada and he would get him a work permit,” the police officer said here, about 10 km away from the state capital Chandigarh.
“We suspect that Sukhwinder and her daughter had duped five more people on the pretext of sending them abroad,” he added.
- Promising Canada journey, Punjab couple duped siblings of Rs.2 mn - Feb 13, 2011
- NRI woman, relatives booked for duping Punjab man - Dec 26, 2010
- Punjab woman held for duping men with job offers abroad - Sep 04, 2010
- Four booked for immigration fraud - Jul 08, 2011
- Immigration fraud: Punjab police book four - Jun 20, 2011
- Court denies bail to two held in Himachal land racket - Nov 02, 2011
- Punjab father-son duo booked for cheating youths - Sep 20, 2010
- NRI hunts for errant son-in-law in Punjab - Dec 16, 2010
- Punjab lawyer, sons held for immigration fraud - Dec 10, 2010
- Immigration firm owners booked for fraud - May 28, 2011
- Man held for overseas job racket - Feb 17, 2011
- Punjabi youth stranded in Libya after being promised jobs - Nov 25, 2010
- Punjab slapgate gets wider; protestors caned before Badal - Dec 07, 2011
- SC no to quashing chargesheet against Nirmal Yadav - Sep 10, 2012
- Man held for fake visa racket - Jul 09, 2011
Tags: brother, canada police, dupe, instalments, kaur, lakh, lakhs, mohali, mother daughter, permanent residency in canada, police officer, police official, pretext, punjab police, residency in canada, rupees, sukhchain, sumeet