Two Punjab cops suspended for custodial deathNovember 13th, 2010 - 1:10 pm ICT by IANS
Fatehgarh Sahib (Punjab), Nov 13 (IANS) Two Punjab Police officials have been suspended over the custodial death of a man following alleged harassment and torture, police said Saturday.
Hardeep Singh, a 28-year-old who was arrested for the theft of 15 cell phones, ended his life in the lock-up at Khamano police station in this district earlier this week. He had hanged himself from a ceiling hook by using his trousers, police said.
“During preliminary investigation, we found that harassment and intense torture by police drove Hardeep to suicide. We have suspended head constable Gurbaksheesh Singh and constable Manjit Singh. They have been sent to the police lines and a departmental inquiry has been initiated against them,” a senior police official told IANS requesting anonymity.
“Hardeep had stolen 15 mobile phones from a shop in Barwali village here and was later arrested. The deputy superintendent of police at Fatehgarh Sahib is the inquiry officer in this case and he will submit his report at the earliest,” the official added.
Punjab Police had earlier termed it as a simple incident of suicide but the intervention of the media and Punjab State Human Rights Commission (PSHRC) led them to take action against the errant officials.
Taking serious note of the custodial death, PSHRC has issued a notice to Fatehgarh Sahib district police chief and directed him to submit a detailed report by Dec 15.
- Hyderabad 'hostage' drama ends as suspended cop releases senior (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Five Bihar police officials suspended for custodial death - Sep 13, 2011
- Four Chhattisgarh cops suspended for suspected Maoist's death - Jan 15, 2012
- Three cops suspended for vandalism in Chandigarh - Jun 23, 2011
- Case against police station: Five cops suspended - Jun 17, 2011
- Three policemen suspended, probe ordered into custodial death in J-K - Aug 31, 2009
- Suspended cop takes senior 'hostage' in Hyderabad - Sep 12, 2012
- Two Punjab cops suspended for harassing people - Jun 01, 2010
- Missing Punjab official found dead - Nov 29, 2011
- Harassed by cops, sisters attempt suicide; one dead - May 27, 2010
- Suspended cop held for plot to kill wife - Sep 06, 2011
- Autopsy confirms Kashmir youth was tortured - Aug 04, 2011
- 3 suspected Babbar Khalsa terrorists arrested in Punjab - Nov 01, 2010
- Dacoity accused attempts suicide in lock-up - Jan 21, 2011
- Guru Granth Sahib varsity VC shot at, injured - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: anonymity, ceiling hook, custodial death, death of a man, deputy superintendent, district police, harassment, hardeep singh, head constable, human rights commission, inquiry officer, manjit singh, police chief, police lines, police official, police officials, police station, preliminary investigation, punjab cops, sahib