Two probes into Scarlett’s death gain momentumDecember 25th, 2008 - 3:59 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 25 (IANS) The investigations related to slain British teenager Scarlett Keeling seems to be gathering momentum with the Goa police likely to send summons to her mother for neglect and the Central Bureau of Investigation preparing a team to fly to Britain to record her statement over the murder. The Goa police are expected to send summons to the dead girl’s Britain-based mother, Fiona Mackeown, in connection with a criminal complaint of neglect filed against her.
The CBI is readying a team of officials to fly to Britain to record Fiona’s statement.
“We are dispatching the summons asking Fiona to come to the police station. We have some questions for her as part of our investigations into the neglect case,” Ramesh Gaonkar, police inspector in charge of the Anjuna police station, told IANS.
Gaonkar also said that the police were in regular touch with her lawyer, Vikram Varma.
The Anjuna police are probing a complaint filed by a local NGO Utt Goenkara, which claimed that it was Fiona’s neglect of her 15-year-old daughter Scarlett that led to her gory death.
The complaint was filed under the Goa Children’s Act, which makes neglect of minors a criminal offence.
The CBI, which took over the Scarlett murder investigation from the state police, will be sending its team to Britain to record the statements of Fiona and Michael Mannion alias Mike Masala, the lone eye-witness produced in the murder by the prosecution.
Both Fiona and Mike are British nationals.
Scarlett Keeling’s body was found in a half naked state at Anjuna beach in February.
The police had earlier tried to dismiss the case as a suicide. But Fiona’s subsequent campaign for justice had attracted international spotlight and exposed Goa tourism’s ugly underbelly.
Fiona has claimed that the drug mafia in Goa was involved in her daughter’s murder and had even named Goa Home Minister Ravi Naik’s son Roy as a suspect, a charge the minister has denied.
- Fiona can depose via video conference in Scarlett case: CBI - Apr 05, 2010
- Scarlett case dragging, CBI prosecutor wants to withdraw - Feb 03, 2011
- Scarlett's mother to depose in Goa court July 30 - Jul 26, 2010
- Hearing in case against Scarlett's mother postponed - Dec 05, 2008
- Goa to probe complaint against Scarlett Keeling's mother - Oct 06, 2008
- Goa Police to probe if British woman was murdered - Jul 07, 2012
- Goa government summons murdered Scarlette Keeling’s mother - Sep 07, 2008
- Neglect charge against British teenager's mother dismissed - Dec 18, 2008
- A year on, justice continues to elude Scarlett Keeling - Feb 18, 2009
- Fiona's statement on daughter's neglect to be recorded in Goa - Feb 02, 2009
- Goa home minister, son linked to drug mafia: Scarlett's mother - Aug 02, 2010
- Drugs sold near night clubs, shacks in Goa: CBI - Nov 06, 2009
- Scarlett rape, murder trial to begin - Mar 19, 2010
- Scarlett murder: Police want to record mother's statement in Britain - Mar 02, 2009
- 'Night before death Scarlett was singing, talking about stars' - Jul 29, 2010