Two planes escape collision narrowly at Goa airportNovember 16th, 2008 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Nov 16 (IANS) As many as 356 passengers on board a Moscow-bound Trans-Aero flight had a narrow escape when the chartered aircraft brushed against the wings of another plane at Goa’s Dabolim airport Sunday afternoon, officials said.The incident occurred at 2.30 p.m., when the Moscow-bound flight was on the runway, readying for the take-off, they said.
The flight’s right wing brushed against the tail wing of another chartered flight from Britain, the officials said.
The passengers were immediately evacuated, they said, adding no casualties were reported and all passengers on board the Trans-Aero flight were safe.
However, both flights were grounded on the runway, blocking the outgoing traffic.
“We are using the alternate runway for outgoing flights now. The runway is being cleared on a priority basis,” an official said.
Hundreds of chartered flights from Germany, Russia and Britain use the paramilitary airport facility at Dabolim every year from October to March, Goa’s tourist season. This year nearly 700 chartered and scheduled flights are expected to land in Goa.
- Two planes miss collision at Goa airport, probe ordered (Lead) - Nov 17, 2008
- Close shave for 250 as bird hits plane in Goa - Nov 11, 2010
- Navy jet's tyre bursts on landing at Goa - Nov 30, 2008
- Front tyres of Air India plane burst, no casualties - Sep 06, 2011
- DGCA team begins probe into Goa airport's freak mishap - Nov 17, 2008
- Kingfisher flight makes emergency landing at Goa airport - Oct 24, 2011
- Dutch flight to Colombo suffers bird hit in Goa - Oct 27, 2011
- Nietzsche quote on terror alarm pamphlet - Dec 07, 2011
- Flights diverted, repairs on at Goa runway (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Three flights diverted from Goa due to runway repairs - Oct 27, 2010
- Jet Airways flight aborts take-off - Feb 08, 2012
- Bees on a Yakutia Airline flight to Moscow creates panic - Aug 24, 2011
- Dabolim airport will not be shut for civilians: Parrikar - Jul 19, 2012
- Navy cuts sorties to allow civilian traffic at Goa airport - Oct 28, 2010
- Snag grounds Jetlite flight - May 02, 2012