Two people injured in bomb explosionMay 2nd, 2012 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, May 2 (IANS) Two people were injured Wednesday in a bomb explosion at a market in Shahlang in Meghalaya’s West Khasi Hills district, police said.
“The explosion took place at 6 p.m. when unidentified people lobbed two grenades at a market place in Shahlang, injuring two people,” Muthu Ramachandran, district police chief of West Khasi Hills, told IANS.
However, one of the grenades did not explode.
Ramachandran said the condition of the injured is stable.
“The blast is mainly to create fear psychosis in the minds of the people. We are still investigating into it and are not ruling out the involvement of militant groups,” Ramachandran said.
Though no militant group has claimed responsibility for the blast, intelligence agencies suspect the involvement of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), a rebel group operating in the region.
“It could be the handiwork of the GNLA militants to create fear psychosis and divert security agencies’ attention in the wake of the combing operation against them,” an intelligence official said.
Security forces launched a massive combing operation in Garo Hills and West Khasi Hills districts.
The GNLA, which was declared a terrorist outfit under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, is headed by police officer-turned outlaw Champion R. Sangma and is fighting for Garoland in the three impoverished districts of Garo Hills to be carved out of Meghalaya.
- Meghalaya Police announce reward for catching GNLA rebels - Apr 28, 2012
- Garo rebels claim responsibility for Meghalya blast - Jul 29, 2011
- Fierce gunfight between Garo rebels, commandos - Jan 28, 2012
- Sangma asks Garo rebels to surrender arms - Feb 08, 2012
- Garo rebels target police party, no casualties - Apr 27, 2012
- Centre unlikely to accede to Garoland, says G.K. Pillai - Feb 14, 2012
- Meghalaya's views sought to declare GNLA outlawed - Nov 01, 2011
- GNLA commander killed, camp busted in Meghalaya - Sep 14, 2012
- Rebel shutdown hits life in Meghalaya - Sep 12, 2011
- Seven injured in Meghalaya blast - Oct 10, 2010
- GNLA chief arrested near Bangladesh border in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Suspected Meghalaya rebels abduct official, traders - Nov 21, 2011
- Garo militant nabbed in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- GNLA rebels, forces exchange fire in Meghalaya - Mar 02, 2012
- Fierce gunfight after rebels attack Meghalaya police officer - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: bomb explosion, district police, garo hills, grenades, handiwork, intelligence agencies, intelligence official, meghalaya, militant group, militant groups, militants, national liberation army, police chief, prevention act, psychosis, rebel group, security agencies, security forces, shillong, west khasi hills