Two people arrested in Falak case (Lead)February 11th, 2012 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 11 (IANS) Rajkumar, the man alleged to have handed over two-year-old baby Falak to his teen girlfriend, has been arrested, police said Saturday. Another woman has also been arrested in the case that exposed a human trafficking racket in the capital.
“Rajkumar, who is the main suspect in the case, and Pratima were arrested Friday,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police Chhaya Sharma.
The key accused Rajkumar Gupta, who was absconding, was arrested by Delhi Police from New Delhi Railway Station late Friday night. A woman named Pratima was also arrested, from Patna, in connection with the case. She was part of the human trafficking racket that exploited Rajkumar’s 14-year-old girlfriend, Sharma said.
Pratima had got Falak from Laxmi and given the child to Rajkumar who in turn handed her over to the teenaged girl whom he allegedly sexually abused.
The police have till now arrested ten people in the case.
Baby Falak was admitted to AIIMS Trauma Centre Jan 18 by the 14-year-old who claimed to be her mother. Falak was in a critical condition as her head was fractured and she had human bite marks all over her tiny frame.
After battling for survival for over three weeks at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here, baby Falak’s condition improved “marginally” Friday.
As uncertainty looms over the baby’s survival, doctors say they will be conducting a crucial surgery on Falak soon.
“Once the brain infection subsides, we will conduct a surgery on the brain. It is called ’shunt’ surgery, where we will be inserting a plastic tube from the stomach to the brain and drain out the brain fluid,” explained Dr. Deepak Agrawal, neurosurgeon at the AIIMS Trauma Centre.
The plastic tube, say doctors, would be the only permanent solution, but if the tube leads to any infection, the procedure will be managed with surgery in future.
- Falak back on ventilator after having breathing problems, say doctors - Feb 11, 2012
- Falak on ventilator again; Main accused, woman arrested (Second Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Two people arrested in Falak case - Feb 11, 2012
- Baby Falak's brother found - Feb 15, 2012
- Battered baby Falak dies of cardiac arrest (Third Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Baby Falak slightly better, next 48 hours crucial: Doctors (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Baby Falak's mother performs her last rites - Mar 16, 2012
- Baby Falak showing signs of improvement: Doctors - Feb 10, 2012
- Falak continues to battle for life, three arrested in case (Roundup) - Feb 02, 2012
- Falak still critical, may undergo another brain surgery - Feb 19, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, police continue search for parents (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Baby Falak critical, police claim leads to finding parents (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- 'Baby Falak's chances of survival less than 50 percent' - Jan 31, 2012
- Baby Falak still critical, another woman held (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Baby Falak back on ventilator, still critical: Doctor - Feb 12, 2012
Tags: agrawal, all india institute of medical sciences, brain infection, chhaya, commissioner of police, delhi police, deputy commissioner, dr deepak, human trafficking, india institute, laxmi, neurosurgeon, permanent solution, plastic tube, railway station, shunt surgery, teen girlfriend, teenaged girl, tiny frame, trauma centre