Two of 14 escaped prisoners nabbedDecember 9th, 2011 - 11:01 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Dec 9 (IANS) A day after 14 prisoners escaped from a jail in Rajasthan by sawing off the ventilator grills in their barrack, two of the prisoners and an accomplice were held by the police, officials said Friday.
One of the prisoners was nabbed Thursday, while 11 others are still on the run.
The 14 had escaped in the early hours Thursday from the sub-jail of Jalore district, some 400 km from Jaipur.
The prisons department in the state has suspended an assistant jailor and a head warden of the sub-jail on account of negligence and dereliction of duty.
“Two prisoners, Kalu Singh and Gajendra Singh, were arrested from Barmer and Jalore respectively,” a police officer told IANS.
According to the official, the escape plan was hatched by two prisoners, identified as Kamal Singh and Megh Singh, accomplices of Bishnaram Bishnoi, who is wanted in the disappearance of nurse Bhanwari Devi.
The nurse who allegedly features in a compromising position with sacked state minister Mahipal Maderna on a CD is feared dead. The CBI had recently announced a cash reward of Rs.5 lakh on Bishnaram.
“We have also arrested Raju Ram, a relative of Kamal Singh. Raju had taken prisoners away in a car from outside the jail. The car has also been recovered,” said the officer.
A jail department official said the assistant jailor and the head warden were found negligent in their duties.
“The saw used in cutting the grills was smuggled into the jail, which highlights negligence on part of the jail authorities,” said the officer.
- 14 undertrials escape from Rajasthan jail - Dec 09, 2011
- Missing nurse case: CBI quizzes arrested legislator's mother - Jan 31, 2012
- 10 prisoners escape from Rajasthan jail - Aug 20, 2012
- Escaped criminal recaptured in Rajasthan - Aug 22, 2012
- CBI arrests two more in missing nurse case - Jan 25, 2012
- Six prisoners escape from Rajasthan jail - Nov 27, 2011
- One more arrested in Bhanwari case - Jan 17, 2012
- Missing nurse case: Brother of absconding suspect arrested - Dec 30, 2011
- Five suspended for medical officer's death in jail (Lead) - Jun 23, 2011
- Bhanwari case: Suspect records statement before magistrate - Jan 19, 2012
- Bhanwari Devi case: CBI quiz three accused together - Jan 28, 2012
- Bhanwari Devi case: CBI collectively quizzes six accused - Jan 29, 2012
- Nurse case: Rajasthan legislator opposes jail change - May 03, 2012
- Bhanwari case: Another accused gives statement to magistrate - Jan 19, 2012
- Action against three Tihar officials for irregularities - Jul 04, 2011
Tags: accomplice, accomplices, barmer, barrack, bhanwari devi, bishnoi, cash reward, dereliction of duty, gajendra singh, jail authorities, jailor, kamal singh, lakh, maderna, mahipal, megh, police officials, prisons department, state minister, two prisoners