Two Mumbai local trains collide, no casualties (Lead)June 17th, 2012 - 1:57 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 16 (IANS) Two suburban local trains suddenly came opposite each other at Mumbai’s Andheri station Saturday night and collided, a railway official said. No major casualties were reported, but the incident threw off gear the suburban railway services, stranding commuters.
“The buffers of two suburban trains, one bound north and another bound south hit each other around 11.15 pm and at least one coach of one of the trains has derailed,” a Western Railway official told IANS shortly after midnight.
Though there are reports of some commuters suffering minor injuries in the incident, the official said it would take time to verify the exact details.
The incident involved a Churchgate-Borivli train and a Virar-Churchgate train, just outside suburban Platform 4 at Andheri station.
While the cause of the incident is not yet clear, preliminary reports indicate it could be due to a signal or track failure.
Thousands of angry commuters vented their ire at the disruption by resorting to minor stone-pelting in Andheri compelling the Government Railway Police to evict them from the trains and the railway platforms.
Due to the disruption, commuters were either stranded or delayed at the late hour on the entire WR suburban network spanning Virar to Churchgate even as heavy rains hit north Mumbai
- Minor collision between two Mumbai trains, no casualties - Jun 17, 2012
- Six injured in Mumbai train collision (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Mumbai commuters hit by twin transport strike - Aug 18, 2011
- Mumbai local train motormen call off strike (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Maharashtra presents long 'wish-list' to railway minister - Mar 02, 2012
- Mumbai suburban train disruption triggers violence - Sep 01, 2009
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Mumbai trains see few passengers - Jul 05, 2010
- Mumbai elevated rail corridor may become a reality - Mar 14, 2012
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
- Local train rams into another in Mumbai, one injured - Aug 09, 2009
- Mumbai suburban train service getting back to normal - Apr 20, 2012
- Mumbai suburban commuters assured of better facilities (With Image) - Jun 10, 2011
- Local trains hit as rains lash Mumbai - Aug 29, 2011
- Mumbai commuters go crazy over passenger Rahul (Sidelights) - Feb 05, 2010
Tags: andheri, buffers, casualties, churchgate, commuters, disruption, exact details, heavy rains, minor injuries, mumbai, platform 4, railway official, railway platforms, railway police, railway services, suburban network, suburban railway, suburban trains, virar, western railway