Two more judges sent to jail in cash-for-bail scamJuly 12th, 2012 - 10:12 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, July 12 (IANS) A city court Thursday sent two suspended judges to judicial custody till July 26 in cash-for-bail scandal involving mining baron and former Karnataka minister Gali Janardhana Reddy.
The Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB) produced Lakshminarasimha Rao, chief judge of small causes court at City Civil Courts, Hyderabad and D. Prabhakar Rao, third additional district and sessions judge, Srikakulam, before the ACB court here.
The court sent them to 14-day judicial custody. They were later shifted to jail.
The ACB had last month arrested suspended Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) judge T. Pattabhirama Rao and retired judge T. V. Chalapathi Rao in the case.
According to ACB, Lakshminarasimha Rao and Prabhakar Rao approached Pattabhirama Rao, offering huge bribe on behalf of Janardhana Reddy’s family to grant bail to him in illegal mining case.
Janardhana Reddy’s brother Somasekhara Reddy, who met Lakshminarasimha Rao and Prabhakar Rao in May at the house of Ravi Suryaprakash Babu, a realtor, in Hyderabad and offered Rs.20 crore for the bail.
Pattabhirama Rao rejected the offer but accepted the one later made by his friend and retired judge Chalapathi Rao, who was approached by Yadagiri Rao, a man with a criminal record.
The latest arrests were made by ACB after Babu, who was taken into custody two days ago, revealed the names of the two judges. The ACB has registered a separate case against the three.
The agency had last month booked eight people including Somasekhara Reddy and Suresh Babu, both legislators from Karnataka, and Janardhana Reddy’s relative Dasarathrami Reddy. Out of the eight, the ACB has so far arrested Pattabhirama Rao, his son Ravichandra and Chalapathi Rao.
The state high court on May 31 suspended Pattabhirama Rao, who had granted bail to Janardhana Reddy on May 11. The orders were struck down by the high court last month.
Janardhana Reddy is currently lodged in Bangalore jail as he is standing trial in another mining case in Karnataka.
- Names of two more judges surface in cash-for-bail scam - Jul 11, 2012
- Mediator received Rs.9.5 crore to arrange bail for Reddy - Jul 03, 2012
- Andhra ACB files charge sheet in cash-for-bail case - Aug 13, 2012
- Suspended judge sent to police custody in bribery scam - Jun 29, 2012
- Ex-judge, suspended judge's son arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 16, 2012
- Mining baron Reddy's kin arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jul 22, 2012
- Karnataka MLA Somasekhara Reddy held in cash-for-bail scam - Aug 06, 2012
- 'Janardhana Reddy wanted bail at any cost' - Jul 23, 2012
- Former Karnataka minister Sriramulu appears before Anti-Corruption Bureau - Aug 21, 2012
- Andhra CBI judge arrested in cash-for-bail case - Jun 19, 2012
- Karnataka BJP MLA Somasekhara Reddy held in cash-for-bail deal (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Cash-for-bail: Suspended judge, seven others booked - Jun 09, 2012
- Two Karnataka legislators summoned in Andhra cash-for-bail scam - Jul 24, 2012
- Ex-Karnataka minister Janardhana Reddy's bail cancelled - Jun 13, 2012
- Andhra's cash-for-bail scam sent to anti-graft bureau - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: acb, bribe, brother, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief judge, civil courts, corruption bureau, criminal record, crore, judicial custody, karnataka minister, legislators, prabhakar rao, realtor, scandal, sessions, suresh babu