Two more AMRI hospital directors get bailMarch 28th, 2012 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, March 28 (IANS) The Calcutta High Court Wednesday granted bail to two directors of the AMRI Hospital who spent nearly four months in custody after they were arrested for the fire tragedy which claimed 94 lives late last December.
“R.S. Goenka and Prashant Goenka were granted bail by the bench of Justices A.K. Ray and A.K. Roy today (Wednesday). The court observed that the petitioners were not involved in the daily affairs of the hospital. Moreover, charge sheet has already been filed and 455 witnesses have been examined, so the court held that their custody was not required and hence granted bail,” AMRI counsel Salim Rahman said.
R.S. Goenka is the chairman of the Emami group which, along with the Shrachi group, owns majority of the stake in the hospital which also has state government representation.
In all, 16 people have been charge sheeted in the case of which 13 people had been arrested while three others, who all are directors, are absconding.
Three of the accused including the managing director Mani Chettri were earlier granted bail.
The Dec 9 pre-dawn blaze at 3.30 a.m. in the hospital located in South Kolkata’s Dhakuria choked to death mostly critically ill patients — many of them in their sleep — and two nurses, while most doctors and other staffers were able to get away.
- Charge sheet filed against 16 for Kolkata hospital fire - Mar 01, 2012
- AMRI director gets bail, Bengal to move apex court (Second Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- One AMRI director gets bail, others denied (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- AMRI directors denied bail - Dec 23, 2011
- Police custody of six AMRI Hospital directors extended - Dec 20, 2011
- Kolkata hospital fire: Director gets bail - Apr 12, 2012
- AMRI case: Directors' police custody extended by 3 days (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Mamata vents ire on corporates, media - Feb 28, 2012
- Kolkata blaze: Hospital director's bail plea rejected - Dec 21, 2011
- Kolkata blaze: Hospital director's bail plea rejected (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
- Another AMRI director gets bail - May 18, 2012
- Two more arrested in AMRI fire case - Dec 13, 2011
- Veteran AMRI doctor gets bail till Feb 15 - Feb 03, 2012
- AMRI directors grilled, toll now 93 (Roundup) - Dec 12, 2011
- AMRI authorities plan to reopen fire-hit hospital - Apr 21, 2012