Two men from Kerala killed in Iraq attackFebruary 20th, 2008 - 11:15 pm ICT by admin
Kozhikode (Kerala), Feb 20 (IANS) Two people from Kerala working for a Kuwaiti firm in Iraq were killed in an attack in Iraq, according to reports reaching here. Minister of State for External Affairs E. Ahmed Wednesday said the government has made all arrangements to bring the bodies of two, killed in Basra earlier this week.
“If the bodies could be brought to Kuwait from Iraq tomorrow (Thursday), we have made all arrangements to bring them home tomorrow night itself. But if the bodies could not be brought to Kuwait, there could be further delay in transportation as Kuwait is observing holidays from Friday (Feb 22) to Tuesday (Feb 26),” Ahmed told reporters here.
The attack reportedly took place Monday night and claimed three lives, including that of a Sri Lankan national.
The two persons - working for a Kuwaiti firm supplying provisions for the US forces here - were identified as Sureshan, 41, from Payyoli near Kozhikode, and T.K. Muhammad Sali, 38, from Padanna in Kasargode district.
“We have to verify whether they were killed in a missile attack as reported in the media. We suspect that they were killed in an attack by a suicide squad,” the minister added.
Sali, who had come home on leave a month back, was working as a driver in the company. Sureshan’s relatives said he planned to leave Kuwait for home Feb 21.