Two Maoists killed in JharkhandMarch 15th, 2009 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, March 15 (IANS) Two Maoist rebels were killed after a two-hour-long shootout with police in Palamau district of Jharkhand Sunday, police said.
Acting on a tip-off, a police team raided a hideout of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) near Barijharia village under Chainpur police station in Palamau district, 180 km from the state capital, and asked the rebels to surrender.
However, the rebels opened fire at the police, who retaliated. In the ensuing gunbattle which lasted more than two hours, two Maoists were killed. However the rebels, who were more then 10 in number, managed to escape with the bodies.
Police say the rebels were drawing strategies to disrupt the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Maoist rebels are active in 18 of the 24 districts of Jharkhand. More than 1450 people have been killed in Maoist-related violence in the last eight years.
- Four cops killed in Jharkhand gun battle with Maoists - Jun 16, 2009
- Maoists blast school, attack police station in Jharkhand - Dec 06, 2011
- Five Maoists held in Jharkhand - Jan 19, 2011
- Constable killed by Maoists in Jharkhand - Mar 18, 2009
- Maoists torch vehicles, blast mobile tower in Bihar - Mar 15, 2011
- Two Maoists arrested, weapons recovered - Jan 30, 2011
- Maoist commander killed in Jharkhand (Lead) - Aug 01, 2010
- Maoist rebel killed in Jharkhand - Mar 09, 2009
- Two Bodo rebels gunned down in Meghalaya - Jun 18, 2011
- Three killed as rival Maoist groups clash - Aug 29, 2010
- Two Maoists arrested in Jharkhand - Oct 14, 2011
- Two Maoist rebels killed in Jharkhand - Apr 07, 2009
- Two CRPF troopers killed in Jharkhand - Sep 27, 2011
- Two Maoists killed Chhattisgarh gunbattle (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Maoists kill five CRPF troopers in Jharkhand - Apr 11, 2009