Two Maoists arrested, explosives recovered in West BengalSeptember 25th, 2010 - 12:02 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 24 (IANS) Two Maoists were arrested and a huge cache of explosives, eight fire arms and ammunition were recovered Friday during search operations by the security forces in West Bengal’s West Midnapore district, police said.
West Midnapore Police Superintendent, Manoj Verma said: “Acting on information, the joint forces comprising Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel and sate police personnel conducted raids in Jhargram, Lalgarh and Nayagram areas of the Midnapore district and arrested two Maoist squad members and recovered a huge cache of explosives, arms and ammunitions.”
“Two Maoist squad members - Sukh Chand Soren alias Tepa and Yubaraj Soren alias Kapil were arrested from Kantapahari area of Lalgarh. Two fire arms were recovered from them.”
“While quizzing the duo, the security personnel came to know about their hideout in Tantshole village from where 20 kilograms of potassium, six firearms and ammunition were recovered,” said the police chief in a media meet at his Midnapore office.
Both the squad members were wanted in several cases including triggering landmine blasts near Lalgarh police station in June this year.
Sukh Chand was a commandant of the Maoist squad and he used to recruit fresh cadres while Yubaraj was an expert in explosives, said Verma.
In another operation, the security forces recovered 803 gelatin sticks from Tapaban forest in Nayagram area.
“While interrogating two members of Peoples’ Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA), who were arrested in connection with the Sep 13 killing of five Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) supporters in Jhargram, we came come to know about the explosives,” said Verma.
“All the explosives were brought some three to four months ago, which suggests that the Maoists are still getting supply of explosives from outside.”
“This is the first time that such a huge cache of explosives was recovered,” said the police superintendent.
Maoists are active in three western districts of the state - West Midnapore, Purulia and Bankura.
- Huge cache of arms recovered from suspected Maoists in West Bengal - Sep 25, 2010
- Maoists regrouping in Bengal: Police - Jul 05, 2011
- Maoist hideout busted in Bengal, arms seized - Feb 03, 2011
- 2 Maoists held; arms, ammunition seized - Feb 18, 2011
- 2 Maoists held, arms and ammunition seized in Bengal (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Maoist hideout busted, explosives seized in Bengal - Apr 01, 2011
- Member of pro-Maoist PCAPA held in Bengal - Nov 12, 2010
- Maoists gun down two, try to blast railway station - Dec 11, 2010
- Maoist killed in Bengal gunfight - Jan 04, 2011
- Pro-Maoist group's spokesman in our custody, admits police - Sep 04, 2010
- Four Maoists held after three-hour gunfight - Aug 18, 2010
- Manhunt for Kishenji in Junglemahal, five arrested - Nov 23, 2011
- Two Maoists held in Bengal raids - Feb 15, 2011
- Maoist leader arrested in West Bengal, weapons seized - Apr 08, 2010
- Security forces gun down a Maoist in West Midnapore encounter - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: alias, ammunitions, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, district police, fire arms, kapil, landmine blasts, manoj, maoist, maoists, midnapore district, police superintendent, reserve police, search operations, security personnel, soren, squad members, tepa, west bengal