Two low-intensity tremors rock Kashmir ValleyJune 4th, 2012 - 2:57 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 4 (IANS) Two light intensity tremors have rocked the Kashmir Valley but there are no reports of casualties or damage to property.
Aamir Ali, in-charge of the disaster management cell here, said: “An earthquake measuring 4.3 on the Richter scale occurred this (Monday) morning at 4.49 a.m. with its epicentre at the Ladakh-Xinjiang border. The epicentre was 247 km northeast of Leh town and 458 km northeast of Srinagar city. No loss has been reported so far”.
Sonam Lotus, director of the local Met office, said: “We recorded a tremor of 3.4 magnitude at 11.19 p.m. yesterday (Sunday). The epicentre was in the Kashmir region.”
The Kashmir Valley is situated in an earthquake-prone region where seismic activity has wrought havoc in the past.
On October 8, 2005 a massive quake measuring 7.9 killed more than 40,000 people across the Line of Control (LoC) in Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir.
- Low intensity quake shakes Kashmir - May 10, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremor rocks Kashmir (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Tremor rocks Ladakh area, no casualties - Aug 07, 2012
- 6.3 magnitude quake rocks Kashmir - Jul 12, 2012
- Moderate intensity tremors rock Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Light intensity tremor rocks Kashmir - Feb 20, 2012
- 5.7 magnitude earthquake in Kashmir - Mar 21, 2011
- Quake rocks Kashmir - Sep 24, 2011
- Temblor shakes Kashmir, Pakistan, Afghanistan; no loss of life (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Low-intensity quake in northeast - Sep 07, 2012
- 5.6 magnitude quake felt in Kashmir Valley - Jul 19, 2012
- Moderate tremor jolts Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- Moderate quake jolts Jammu and Kashmir - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: casualties, disaster management, earthquake, epicentre, havoc, kashmir, kashmir region, kashmir valley, ladakh, light intensity, magnitude, management cell, monday morning, october 8, prone region, richter scale, seismic activity, srinagar, tremor, tremors