Two lawyers killed in Uttar Pradesh clashSeptember 3rd, 2011 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 3 (IANS) Two lawyers were killed and five injured when lekhpals (revenue officials) opened fire during a clash with them in Uttar Pradesh?s Lakhimpur Kheri district Saturday, officials said. Thirtyfive lekhpals were detained.
Agitated over the killings, lawyers went on a rampage, vandalising government offices and setting several vehicles afire.
According to officials, the clash that took place in Mohammadi tehsil was linked to an old dispute between lawyers and lekhpals over registry of a land.
?Three-four days ago, a section of lawyers and lekhpals had a verbal duel regarding registry of some land. Today also, lawyers entered into a heated argument with lekhpals that snowballed into a major clash,” District Magistrate Rishikesh Bhaskar Yashod told IANS by phone from Lakhimpur Kheri, some 150 km from Lucknow.
?As tempers flared up, lekhpals opened fire killing two lawyers. I have ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident,” he added.
According to police, a firearm used in the killings was confiscated.
?As many as 35 lekhpals have been detained in connection with the violence. Following further investigations, a FIR (first information report) with names would be lodged against those lekhpals directly involved in the killings,” Superintendent of Police Amit Chandra told IANS by phone.
In the wake of the violence, heavy security arrangements were made in parts of Lakhimpur Kheri district.
?Provincial Armed Constabulary and additional forces from various police stations have been deployed to prevent any fresh violence,” said Chandra.
- Uttar Pradesh clash: 35 officials arrested - Sep 04, 2011
- Lawyers in Uttar Pradesh boycott work - Sep 05, 2011
- 11 troopers booked for killing men during clash - Aug 03, 2010
- Three killed, 40 hutments gutted in fire - Apr 23, 2011
- Fire spreads through 20 villages, six killed - Apr 18, 2011
- Trooper held for killing villagers in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 04, 2010
- Lawyers strike work in UP, demand security - Aug 21, 2012
- 20 injured as lawyers, officials clash - Mar 01, 2011
- Court questions Uttar Pradesh on police station death - Jul 04, 2011
- Three brothers sentenced to life for murder - Mar 30, 2011
- Kheri rape: Doctors charged with fudging autopsy - Jul 12, 2011
- Girl found dead in police station was not murdered: Police - Jun 12, 2011
- Lawyers, roadways employees clash in Uttar Pradesh - May 23, 2011
- 11 cops suspended after girl found dead in police station - Jun 11, 2011
- Revenue official mowed down in UP - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: amit, chandra, clash, constabulary, district magistrate, fir, government offices, heavy security, information report, kheri district, killings, lawyers, magisterial inquiry, police stations, rampage, revenue officials, security arrangements, tehsil, tempers, verbal duel