Two lakh students join IGNOU community collegesJune 20th, 2011 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) has enrolled over two lakh students in about 600 community colleges in the last three years, Vice Chancellor V.N. Rajasekharan Pillai said Monday.
The IGNOU community colleges across the country offer vocational education, skill development and work integrated learning scheme.
“Community college system the world over is the most open and flexible pattern of post-secondary education, life-long learning and skill development,” said Pillai.
According to the vice chancellor, key features like open education practices, flexi-time approach, technology-enabled teaching and learning, online and distance learning, work-integrated learning etc. are the reasons behind the surge in its popularity.
“These colleges provide a supplementary route to higher education through an appropriate mix of skills and academic knowledge,” he added.
The Pondicherry Central University had started the first community college in the country and is now augmenting the community colleges by appointing faculty and creating other facilities, said Pillai.
“In Tamil Nadu, all state universities have recently decided to start 10 community colleges each,” he added.
As per IGNOU, community colleges are an alternative system of education which aim to empower individuals through appropriate skill development leading to gainful employment in collaboration with the local industry and community.
They generally have a two-year curriculum that either leads to an associate degree for transfer to an undergraduate college or to the students direct entry into any occupation or trade.
- IGNOU to partner with US community colleges - Aug 21, 2011
- IGNOU mulls new initiatives to expand reach - Apr 19, 2011
- IGNOU backs e-learning - Aug 26, 2011
- IGNOU to award skill-recognition degrees to Indian Navy sailors - Jun 24, 2011
- Sibal stresses on spreading distance education - Apr 02, 2011
- IGNOU starts online training programme for teachers - Dec 26, 2010
- IGNOU, FDDI launch 8 new courses - May 03, 2011
- IGNOU inaugurates 100-foot-high flag post - Oct 20, 2011
- 'IGNOU at par with international institutions' - Jan 01, 2011
- IGNOU to offer diploma in child rights - Sep 15, 2011
- Choose any subject from any course at IGNOU - Aug 15, 2011
- IGNOU to offer courses in warehousing, accounting - Aug 10, 2011
- Security in neighbourhood cause for concern: Antony - Sep 14, 2011
- IGNOU can address skill deficit among youth: Vice chancellor - Mar 22, 2011
- IGNOU to bring out book on silver jubilee lectures - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: academic knowledge, alternative system, approach technology, community colleges, education life, education practices, flexible pattern, gainful employment, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, integrated learning, open education, pillai, pondicherry central university, post secondary education, scheme community, state universities, tamil nadu, time approach, vice chancellor