Two killed in villagers-police clash in OrissaJuly 15th, 2011 - 9:26 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 15 (IANS) Two people were killed and about a dozen others were injured in a clash between police forces and villagers in Orissa Friday over the arrests of some villagers some days ago, an official said.
The clash erupted when police tried to remove a road blockade hundreds of villagers had staged near Khajipalli village in Ganjam district, about 250 km from here.
The villagers were blocking the road past three days to protest the arrest of nearly 50 people in connection with a group clash in the region July 13.
The police used batons and then opened fire when the protestors hurled crude bombs and pelted stones, police inspector S.K. Mishra said.
While two protestors died in police firing, four villagers and eight policemen sustained injuries. Ganjam is the home district of Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
- Probe sought into killing near Posco project site - Dec 15, 2011
- Nine injured as anti-Posco protesters, cops clash (Second Lead) - May 15, 2010
- Eight injured as anti-Posco protesters clash with cops (Lead) - May 15, 2010
- Clashes over road construction at Posco site, one killed - Dec 14, 2011
- Four Assam jute farmers killed in police firing - Oct 10, 2011
- Judicial probe ordered into Orissa police firing - Aug 24, 2010
- 33 held for violence during Congress rally (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Life affected as Jats continue blockades in Haryana (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- Congress shutdown paralyses life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Man dies as police, villagers clash in Orissa - Aug 23, 2010
- Orissa forest guard shot dead by Maoists - Sep 19, 2011
- Vijayamma's fast in Telangana concludes amid protests - Jul 23, 2012
- Several hurt as Odisha Congress protest turns violent (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- 86 arrested for Orissa killings - May 02, 2011
- Mob attacks, torches police station in Bihar - Oct 15, 2011