Two killed in communal clash in Uttar PradeshMarch 11th, 2009 - 8:40 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 11 (IANS) Two people were killed and at least seven injured as the police opened fire on clashing groups of two communities in Varanasi town of Uttar Pradesh Wednesday, an official said here.
The police opened fire to quell communal violence that broke out during Holi celebrations near the Gauriya Masjid in Bazaridiha locality under the Bhelpur police station in the heart of town, a home department spokesman said.
“The trouble erupted after a group of Hindu revelers went about splashing colours on some Muslims coming out of a madrassa,” Varanasi city superintendent of police Vijay Bhushan told IANS by telephone.
“What began as a verbal duel flared up into a violent clash, as both sides refused to calm down,” he said.
“With the rioters taking to brick-batting and even firing, the police were left with no option but to use force. Initially, we tried to control the violence by lobbing teargas shells but when some people opened fire, we were compelled to retaliate,” Bhushan said.
“We have detained at least 10 people from each side and intensified security in the locality where we will maintain a round-the-clock vigil to prevent any recurrence of violence.”
He described the situation as “well under control”.
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
- Lawyers, roadways employees clash in Uttar Pradesh - May 23, 2011
- Students clash with police in Allahabad, torch vehicles - Apr 27, 2012
- 30 injured in communal clash in Meerut - Apr 25, 2011
- Violence in south Delhi area after police, locals clash - Jan 15, 2012
- Violence in south Delhi area as police, locals clash (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- India celebrates Holi; expats, tourists join in revelry (Roundup) - Mar 11, 2009
- Three killed in protests against power plant in Andhra (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Two lawyers killed in Uttar Pradesh clash - Sep 03, 2011
- Two killed in protests against power plant in Andhra - Feb 28, 2011
- Bloody Monday leaves 16 dead across Kashmir (Fourth Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- 12 arrested after communal clash - Mar 20, 2011
- Mathura tense, two dead - Jun 02, 2012
- BJP workers, cops clash at Jantar Mantar - Aug 09, 2011
- 20 injured as lawyers, officials clash - Mar 01, 2011