Two killed in clashes between two communities in AssamOctober 3rd, 2008 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Oct 3 (IANS) At least two people were killed, one of them in police firing, and 10 injured, besides dozens of houses were burnt Friday in Assam’s Udalguri district in clashes between two communities, the police said.A police spokesman said one person was killed when the police opened fire on a group of miscreants trying to set ablaze houses and attack members of a rival community near Rowta in Udalguri district, about 100 km north of Assam’s main city of Guwahati.
“The death toll is now two with one person killed in clashes, while the other died in police firing. In separate incidents of clashes, at least 10 people were wounded,” a police official said.
Armed miscreants set ablaze about 30 houses and a market in Rowta and adjoining villages.
“The situation is tense and the police and the paramilitary troopers were deployed in strength to prevent the situation from escalating and taking a communal colour,” an official said.
The immediate provocation for the clashes was the attack on a group of Village Defence Party (VDP) volunteers early Friday by armed miscreants.
“The VDP members belonged to the tribal Bodo community and were attacked by members of a religious minority group and that sparked off the clashes,” the official said.
Senior police and civil officials have rushed to the area to defuse the clashes with army soldiers asked to be on standby.
In August, the area witnessed similar clashes between two communities in which about 10 people were killed and several injured.
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Tension in Assam's Udalguri after youth's body found - Sep 06, 2012
- Seven killed in Assam clashes, shoot at sight orders issued - Oct 04, 2008
- Assam violence: Tension continues, army stages flag march - Jul 25, 2012
- 16 killed in Assam clashes, 10,000 displaced - Oct 05, 2008
- Assam burns, 32 dead, thousands homeless (Night Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- No fresh violence in Assam's Bodo areas, toll 45 - Jul 27, 2012
- Assam toll now 18, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam toll rises to 12, army called in (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- One injured, two missing in fresh attack in Assam - Aug 22, 2012
- Tension in Assam, PM may visit Saturday, toll 41 (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Rehabilitate Bengali Muslims only after verification: Bodo groups - Aug 18, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Assam ministers rush to violence-hit Kokrajhar - Jul 24, 2012
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012