Two killed, four wounded in Kashmir explosionSeptember 20th, 2011 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Sep 20 (IANS) Two people were killed and four injured when an explosive device went off during collection of scrap in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district Tuesday afternoon.
Police said a scrap collector was beating his bag on a rock to make it compact when some explosive device inside the bag went off. The scrap collector and a boy on the spot were killed while four people were injured.
The explosion took place at Maidanpora (Lolab) village, about 90 km from here, in Kupwara district.
Police believe the scrap collector unwittingly collected some unexploded device.
“The scrap collector was identified as Ali Muhammad Bhat, 47, a resident of Drugmulla in Baramulla district and the local boy was identified as Mudasir Khan, 13. The two died on the spot. Four others, including two boys, a girl and a woman, were injured,” a police officer said.
In July this year, security forces and separatist guerrillas had faced each other in a gunfight in Maidanpora (Lolab) village.
- Girl injured in Kashmir landmine blast - Dec 02, 2011
- Five LeT men, soldier killed in Kashmir gunfight (Third Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- School bus in Kashmir rolls into gorge, 3 killed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Exhume unmarked grave in Kashmir: Rights panel - Jul 05, 2012
- Two killed in scrapyard explosion (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- 8 killed in Kashmir, 6 in police firing, as Omar seeks help - Aug 03, 2010
- Four IEDs detected, defused in Kashmir - Mar 15, 2011
- Kashmir rights panel slams staged shootouts - Jul 19, 2012
- Twenty injured in Kashmir road accident - Feb 27, 2012
- Blast at Kashmir scrap dealer's home, one killed - Jun 07, 2011
- Two teens killed in Kashmir blast - Jul 11, 2011
- Hostage rescued, gunfight starts in Kashmir (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Three LeT guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight (Second Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Kashmir man claims slain father was no terrorist - Apr 17, 2010
- Army colonel killed in Kashmir ambush - Jun 23, 2010
Tags: ali muhammad, bhat, district police, explosion, explosive device, gunfight, kashmir, kupwara district, local boy, north kashmir, police officer, scrap collector, security forces, separatist guerrillas, tuesday afternoon, two boys