Two killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai trainApril 19th, 2012 - 2:09 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 19 (IANS) Two commuters were killed Thursday when they fell off an overcrowded local train, an official said as the Central Railway’s suburban services continued to be disrupted by signalling woes, leading to chaos in the city. Fifteen people travelling in other packed trains were also injured.
“Two passengers fell off the train between Bhandup and Nahur railway stations on the Central Railway line and are dead; 15 others also lost balance and fell off the crowded trains at various other stations,” a Central Railway official told reporters here.
“The injured have been sent to hospitals nearby. They were also given first aid at the railway stations,” the official added.
He said that there was no violation found on the part of the Central Railway and that the deaths and injuries were caused due to overcrowding in the trains.
“Central Railway has also announced compensation for those injured and killed in the accident,” the official said.
Millions of commuters have had a harrowing time the last two days after train services were curtailed following a fire in the main signal cabin at Kurla station. Work on a fire-ravaged signal network has been taken up on a war-footing, an official said.
- Rs.2 lakh each for Mumbai train accident victims' kin - Apr 19, 2012
- Three killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Three killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Mumbai limps on second day after railway fire - Apr 19, 2012
- Government slammed over Mumbai commuters' woes - Apr 19, 2012
- Signal cabin fire hits Central Railway services - Apr 18, 2012
- Mumbai suburban train service getting back to normal - Apr 20, 2012
- Central Railway fire halts Mumbai (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Heavy rains continue in Maharashtra - Sep 04, 2012
- Six killed in Maharashtra downpour (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Two Mumbai local trains collide, no casualties (Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Six injured in Mumbai train collision (Second Lead) - Jun 17, 2012
- Two-day water cut in Mumbai from Monday - May 06, 2012
- Minor collision between two Mumbai trains, no casualties - Jun 17, 2012
- 10 injured as Vidarbha Express rams into derailed local train - Jul 20, 2012
Tags: bhandup, central railway, chaos, commuters, deaths, first aid, hospitals, local train, overcrowding, railway line, railway official, railway stations, signal cabin, suburban services, train services, trains, woes