Two killed, 10 missing after Maoists ambush police convoy (Lead)May 11th, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 11 (IANS) At least two policemen were killed and 10 were missing after 150 heavily armed Maoist guerrillas ambushed a 41-member police force in Chhattisgarh, officials said Monday.
The attack on the District Force (DF) search convoy in Dhamtari district’s hillside Risgaon village, about 130 km from here, took place late Sunday. It was the first attack by insurgents in Dhamtari.
“It’s the first attack of insurgents in Dhamtari district. The jawans belonging to Kanker DF were travelling in three-four vehicles. Reinforcements have been rushed to the site,” said Pawan Deo, deputy inspector general (Maoist operation), police headquarters.
“Two policemen were killed and the number is likely to go up,” said Girdhari Nayak, Chhattisgarh additional director general of police.
“The heavily armed rebels first triggered multiple blasts and then opened indiscriminate fire,” Nayak told IANS.
About 10 policemen were missing. A special helicopter sent by the state government Monday morning had brought back three seriously injured policemen who have been admitted to the Ramkrishna Care Hospital here.
Rebels have stepped up attacks on police and civilians over the last week. On May 6, they killed 11 people, including seven security personnel, in Bastar region. A day later, a police station in-charge was stabbed to death in full public view in the same region.
On May 5, a senior leader of the state’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party in Rajnandgaon district was shot dead.
- 13 killed in Maoist ambush in Chhattisgarh (Third Lead) - May 11, 2009
- Maoist ambush kills 13 in Chhattisgarh (Fourth Lead) - May 11, 2009
- 13 killed in Maoist ambush in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - May 11, 2009
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- After attack, Chhattisgarh hunts for Maoists - Oct 22, 2011
- Maoists kill villager, blast Chitrakot police post (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Maoists blast in tourist destination Chitrakot - Feb 07, 2011
- Maoists kill district police chief, 24 policemen (Third Lead) - Jul 12, 2009
- 10 policemen go missing after Chhattisgarh Maoist attack - May 11, 2009
- Chhattisgarh ups security after Maoists threat - Jan 25, 2011
- Maoists kill 23 policemen in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2009
- Maoists blast Chitrakot police post, disrupt Bastar life (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Chhattisgarh reels under Maoist attacks, 29 policemen killed (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2009
- Maoists kill two Chhattisgarh cops - Jul 12, 2009
- 10 killed as Maoists trap police party in ambush (Third Lead) - Aug 20, 2011