Two killed, 10 injured in Kashmir violence (Third Lead)November 22nd, 2008 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Nov 22 (IANS) Two young men were killed and 10 were injured in Jammu and Kashmir Saturday when police and paramilitary troopers fired at people protesting against the holding of elections in the state, officials and eyewitnesses said. The deaths sparked off wide demonstrations, prompting the government to order a probe.
The killings took place in north Kashmir’s Baramulla town, which will see voting Dec 7 in the staggered state elections that end Dec 24.
The violence erupted when a mob of anti-election protesters resorted to heavy stone pelting on the escort vehicle of Congress candidate Mir Mushtaq in Khanpora locality of the town, 55 km from here, the police said.
Manzoor Ahmed Kumar, a Class 10 student, died on the spot after being hit in the chest, eyewitnesses told IANS on the phone.
Tension gripped the town as the protesters carried the body of the slain youth and marched towards the curfew-bound old town shouting anti-election and anti-India slogans.
The paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) then opened fired at the funeral procession injuring at least 11.
“One of the injured, Tanvir Ahmad Sheikh, died in the security force firing and 10 sustained bullet injuries in the old town area of Baramulla,” a police official said.
“We have referred 10 injured persons, who reported here with critical injuries, to Srinagar hospital for specialised treatment,” a doctor said on the phone from Baramulla.
After anti-election protests in Baramulla town Friday, the authorities clamped curfew to quell demonstrations.
An official spokesman said the government has ordered a magisterial probe into the firing incidents in Baramulla town.
“The probe will be conducted by the additional district magistrate of Baramulla district,” the spokesman said.
Angry protesters engaged security forces in heavy stone pelting in the town as high tension gripped the area after the killings.
Clashes between the stone throwing mobs and the security forces in the town forced the authorities to call additional troops to bring the situation under control.
- Security forces kill two protesters in Kashmir, probe ordered (Lead) - Nov 22, 2008
- Two killed in Kashmir violence, Mehbooba faces mob fury (Fourth Lead) - Nov 23, 2008
- Security forces kill two protesters in Kashmir - Nov 22, 2008
- 6 security men injured as mobs defy curfew in Kashmir - Sep 16, 2010
- One more youth killed in Baramulla firing - Jun 30, 2009
- Two more dead, Kashmir Valley under curfew - Sep 14, 2010
- Two youth injured in Srinagar, separatist march foiled (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
- Violence continues in curfew-bound Kashmir, toll four (Lead) - Jul 31, 2010
- 25 including 11 cops wounded in fresh Kashmir violence (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir protests (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2010
- Two killed in Kashmir firing, toll rises to 57 (Lead) - Aug 14, 2010
- Four killed, 47 injured in Kashmir Friday - Aug 13, 2010
- Violence continues in Kashmir (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Stone-pelting mob clashes with police in Baramulla - Apr 06, 2012
- Curfew lifted, life limps back to normal in Srinagar - Jul 04, 2010