Two kidnapped Assam businessmen rescued after three daysSeptember 1st, 2010 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Sep 1 (IANS) Two businessmen kidnapped at gunpoint over the weekend from Assam’s main city Guwahati were rescued by security forces early Wednesday, officials said.
A police spokesperson said Bishnu Kedia and Sanjay Agarwal, both abducted Sunday, were rescued from Sonapur on the outskirts of Guwahati.
“Due to intense security operations, the kidnappers probably felt the heat and abandoned the duo for fear of being captured,” a senior police official said.
Kedia and Agarwal, who run a dairy business in Guwahati, were kidnapped by at least four people midnight Sunday from near their factory in the Sasal area.
“Last three days we were made to shift locations frequently and we presumed it was a hilly area. We didn’t know much about the locations as we were blindfolded,” Agarwal told IANS.
“We didn’t know why we were kidnapped, but the abductors never misbehaved with us,” he said.
The captors called up the family members of the hostages twice and asked them to wait until further communication.
“The kidnappers probably wanted to first shift them to some safe place before bargaining with their families for ransom. But with intense security operations, the captors realised it would be futile to hold them hostage and so decided to release them,” the official said.
The identity of the abductors is yet to be ascertained.
“We are sure the kidnapping was done for money, but the kidnappers could be either militants or criminals who knew them,” the official said.
- Abducted Assam cement firm executive escapes in Shillong - Sep 03, 2010
- Company executive kidnapped in Assam - Sep 02, 2010
- Suspected ULFA militants free kidnapped Assam tea grower - Sep 21, 2010
- Two Sikhs kidnapped in Pakistan rescued - Mar 01, 2010
- No trace of hostages, fencing work stops - Apr 02, 2012
- Police rescue kidnapped father of PM's security officer - Feb 11, 2011
- US commandos rescue two hostages in Somalia - Jan 26, 2012
- Chinese police kill seven kidnappers, free hostages - Dec 29, 2011
- Six die in botched Pakistan hostage rescue attempt - Dec 30, 2011
- ULFA, NDFB strike - two kidnapped in Assam - Sep 15, 2010
- Chennai boy's kidnappers nabbed, Rs.1 crore ransom seized - Nov 03, 2010
- Marwari don becomes Nepal's most wanted - Jul 09, 2010
- Will continue good work in Malkangiri, says released Collector - Feb 25, 2011
- Maoists raise fresh demands, Italians untraced (Night Lead) - Mar 19, 2012
- Two US tourists kidnapped in Yemen - May 29, 2010
Tags: abducted, abductors, assam, businessmen, dairy business, gunpoint, hilly area, hostages, intense security, kedia, kidnappers, militants, outskirts, police official, police spokesperson, ransom, safe place, sanjay, security forces, security operations