Two Indian workers die in accident on ship in SingaporeJune 19th, 2008 - 9:12 am ICT by IANS
Singapore, June 19 (DPA) Two Indian nationals working below a ship’s deck were killed in what Singapore officials said was a case of gas poisoning, news reports said Thursday. Five other workers were hospitalized and were in stable condition.
All seven Indian nationals working below the deck of the Pacific Ataawhai in a Singapore dry dock Wednesday found themselves gasping for breath, The Straits Times said.
The two who died, aged 21 and 25, were believed to have suffocated.
It was the second shipyard tragedy in less than a month. A 42- year-old Indian worker died on June 9 after he was severely burned in an explosion aboard a vessel being painted at a nearby shipyard.
No explosion took place Thursday on board the ship that was being converted into a seismic survey vessel at DryDocks World Singapore, the report said.
The Manpower Ministry has issued a stop-work order on the vessel. The seven men were believed to have been working with heat or flame.
Experts told the newspaper that hazardous fumes or a lack of oxygen could have led to their collapse. They were working in a confined area.
One possibility raised was an accidental release of carbon dioxide, displacing the oxygen.
There were nine deaths last year in Singapore’s shipbuilding and ship-repair industry.
- Two Indians killed in on-board accident at Singapore (Lead) - Jun 19, 2008
- DCNS, Pipavav to address India's naval needs - Jun 11, 2012
- Warship building in India gets boost through public-private effort - Mar 04, 2012
- India carrier's trial snags blamed on faulty boilers - Sep 18, 2012
- Faulty boilers caused Indian aircraft carrier's trial snags (Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Defence shipyards lose out to private players: Antony - Nov 28, 2011
- South Korean shipbuilders won half of global orders in Q3 - Oct 19, 2011
- Goa Shipyard posts Rs.176 crore profit - Aug 24, 2011
- GRSE launches two patrol vessels for Coast Guard - Aug 06, 2012
- World's largest yacht is 590 feet long - Jun 13, 2012
- ICGS Rajtarang commissioned in Chennai - May 19, 2012
- Three killed in China shipyard blast - Feb 12, 2012
- Indian found dead in UAE - Feb 12, 2012
- Vasan woos Singapore firms for investment in Indian ports - Sep 28, 2010
- 'Warship delays not linked to Mazagon Docks upgrade' - Nov 23, 2011