Two Indian TV journalists attacked in PakistanFebruary 6th, 2009 - 12:26 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 5 (IANS) Two Indian journalists were Thursday thrashed by some men in the Pakistani city of Lahore and their camera, tapes and belongings snatched, inviting a sharp reaction from the external affairs ministry here.Jujhar Singh, correspondent with NewsX channel, and cameraman Tilak Raj were roughed up and all their belongings taken away by men suspected to be Pakistani intelligence agents, channel officials said.
The journalists were working on stories related to the Mumbai attacks when six men accosted them in Anarkali Bazar in Lahore in the afternoon. The attackers took away their camera, tapes, mobile phones and wallets. Jujhar Singh and Tilak Raj left Lahore by a flight to Bangkok, the officials said.
“It is unfortunate that such an incident has taken place involving two journalists of NewsX channel and that journalists are being treated in this manner,” external affairs ministry spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said here.
“We are awaiting full details from our high commission in Islamabad, which has brought this to the attention of concerned Pakistani authorities,” he said.
He said the concerns that led to the travel advisory of Dec 26, 2008, “still exist” and “Indian nationals have been advised that it is unsafe for them to travel to Pakistan”.
- SAMC, SAFMA condemns attack on Indian journalists - Feb 06, 2009
- India condemns attacks on foreign journalists in Cairo - Feb 04, 2011
- Syria seeks India's support against 'Western propaganda' - Aug 02, 2011
- Kashmir Journalists Guild (KJG) holds election in Srinagar - Nov 11, 2010
- Assassination overshadows Krishna visit (Pakistan Diary) - Jul 15, 2010
- Governments spar, but people of Pakistan, India want to connect - Feb 26, 2012
- Journalists stage sit-in at Kerala assembly after assaults - Jul 14, 2011
- Under rising pressure from West, Syria seeks India's support (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Krishna expresses shock over attack on Egyptian journalists - Feb 04, 2011
- New Tilak memorial planned in Mumbai - Aug 02, 2011
- White paper highlights attacks on media in Orissa - Mar 05, 2011
- One 'beast', 13 beauties in 'Bigg Boss-5' house - Oct 03, 2011
- India trying its best to rescue journalists, camera teams stuck in Cairo - Feb 04, 2011
- Lahore's Hira Mandi: a love affair - Feb 09, 2012
- No green signal for Indian hockey team's tour to Pakistan - Apr 04, 2012