Two Hizb militants killed in Jammu gunbattleJanuary 25th, 2009 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Jan 25 (IANS) Two militants of the Hizbul Mujahideen outfit were killed by the army in a “surgical operation” in the mountainous forests of Jammu and Kashmir’s Ramban district Sunday, officials said. The gunbattle took place in the forests of Sher Bibi near Banihal in Ramban district overlooking the vital Jammu-Srinagar national highway in the morning.
Army officials said that troops, after receiving inputs about the presence of some militants in the Sher Bibi forest about 190 km from Jammu, attacked the militants.
“The troops shot dead two militants while one soldier sustained minor injury in the leg,” an official said.
The militants have been identified as Qari Zubair, a top commander of the Hizbul Mujahideen, and the other as Nasir Ahmad, his close associate, the official said.
The troops are conducting extensive search in the area.
The Sher Bibi forest overlooks the Jammu-Srinagar national highway, which is the route for to and fro movement of security convoys and also the lifeline to the Kashmir Valley.
The highway was closed from 9 a.m. when the gunbattle was on.
The army has described the operation as a “big success” in their anti-militancy drive.
Two militants of same outfit were killed in an operation by state police on Jan 23 in the adjoining Doda district.
- Three terrorists killed in gunfight - Feb 08, 2011
- Three Kashmir terrorists killed in gunfight (Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Two militants killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jun 27, 2011
- Security forces kill top Hizbul Mujahideen commander in Doda - Mar 08, 2010
- Two guerrillas killed in Kashmir gunfight - May 27, 2011
- Top Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir gunfight - Oct 08, 2011
- Kashmir youth no longer swayed by militancy, says police - Mar 10, 2012
- Hizb militants escape from police custody - Mar 29, 2012
- Militant, cop killed in south Kashmir gunfight - Mar 19, 2011
- Arms and ammunitions recovered from militant hideout in Poonch - Jul 19, 2010
- Two most wanted LeT commanders killed (Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- Four guerrillas killed in Kashmir (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Two foreign guerrillas killed in Kashmir's Sopore (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Hizbul commander killed in Kashmir - Jul 10, 2012
- Soldier killed in militant fire in Kashmir - May 03, 2012