Two Himachal schoolchildren face charges under anti-ragging lawMay 5th, 2009 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 5 (IANS) Two students of a high school in Himachal Pradesh have been named in a police case under the new anti-ragging ordinance, which was promulgated after the killing of a student following ragging.
The two students - not identified as they are minors - of Class 11 of the Sanatan Dharam Senior Secondary School here face the charge of bullying and manhandling a Class 10 student last week.
“The alleged scuffle last Friday involved two Class 11 students who beat up their junior of Class 10. On the complaint of the victim, we (the police) first booked the students under the Indian Penal Code. Later, some sections of the anti-ragging ordinance were added,” investigation officer Madan Kant told IANS Tuesday.
“Both have been released on bail,” he said.
However, school principal Krishna Nijhawan said it was not a case of ragging but of a scuffle between senior and junior students.
“It is not a case of ragging as the victim was not a new entrant. He was in the school for the past many years. We have already taken disciplinary action against the two students. They were rusticated from the school on the day of the incident,” she said.
The incident came to light after a clash among students of the prestigious Lawrence School at Sanawar left 11 of them injured, forcing school authorities to expel seven Class 12 students.
The victims were allegedly beaten with belts, wet towels and hockey sticks.
Nearly two months ago, Aman Kachru died as a result of severe ragging by seniors in a medical college in Tanda in the state, shocking the nation. The incident led to the promulgation of the anti-ragging ordinance.
- Kachru ragging: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Four convicted in Aman Kachru ragged-to-death case (Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Aman Kachru ragging case: Court to pronounce verdict Nov 11 - Oct 30, 2010
- Kachru ragging death: Guilty get four years' rigorous imprisonment (Roundup) - Nov 11, 2010
- Rajasthan colleges told to set up anti-ragging panels - Sep 11, 2012
- Verdict in Aman Kachru's ragged-to-death case Thursday - Nov 10, 2010
- Four students guilty of ragging to death Aman Kachru - Nov 11, 2010
- Probe ordered into Sanawar school ragging - May 03, 2009
- Bail to ragging accused sends wrong message: Kachru's father - Jul 18, 2010
- Varsities will be sensitised to ragging laws: President Patil - May 03, 2009
- Bail for two Himachal students charged under anti-ragging law - Jul 18, 2009
- Three ragging cases reported in Himachal this year: Dhumal - Aug 10, 2009
- Three students held for ragging in Himachal - Aug 04, 2011
- Kachru ragging: Guilty get four years' jail term - Nov 11, 2010
- Two more Himachal students arrested for ragging - Aug 11, 2010